Venue: William J. Hale Stadium
Weather: Mostly Sunny, 86; 61% Humidity; Real Feal - 96
Total Plays: 69
NASHVILLE --- Tennessee State held its first scrimmage of the 2019 season on Saturday morning. The Tigers opened with a special teams session which focused on the new rules adopted for this season, before engaging in a 69 play scrimmage. The day concluded with Antonio Zita and Kaleb Mosley going head-to-head during a field goal session.
The first unit defense held the upper hand for the first two possessions, but it was the second offensive group that moved the ball, running 17 plays over two drives. Quarterback Demry Croft took 45 snaps, while Cameron Rosendahl took 24 on the day.
Both quarterbacks threw a tocuhdown pass, while transfer fullback Charlie Davidson scored the only rushing touchdown.
- Rushing: 22 carries for 48 yards
- Passing: 20-of-36 for 205 yards
- Touchdowns: Three
- Quarterback Hurries/Sacks: Three
- Rhashaun Epting recorded three Hurries
- Nick Harper Jr. had two pass break-ups
- Seven Tackles For Loss
- TFL's: Clint Dowty (2), Jahsun Bryant, Michael Bond, Dewayne Johnson, Dante' Ferguson Jr.; Raymond Horton and Terry Straughter had 0.5
THE SCRIMMAGE (All drives started at the offensive 25 yard line)
- The offense took advantage of a penalty and a six yard Te'kendrick Roberson runs to pick up a first down, before stalling three plays later.
- The defensive first unit yielded a five yard run by Roberson and a Demry Croft to Steven Newbold connection for another five yards and a first down, ahead of standing tall once again.
- Jahsun Bryant closed out the drive by hitting Shawn McColley three yards behind the line of scrimmage.
- Cameron Rosendahl brought the second unit on and proceeded to complete three straight passes after a five yard run by Dayron Johnson.
- Miles Cavitt caught the first two passes before Malik Abdul-Haqq reeled in the final Rosendahl connection moving the offense across midfield.
- A fourth consecutive pass, caught by tight end Phillip Brown, was nullified by an illegal receiver down field.
- The second unit defense came alive and forced a stop on the first of Rhashaun Epting's quarterback hurries.
- Quarterbacks were off limits, which resulted in Epting being credited with three hurries as opposed to sacks.
- The second offensive unit once again moved across midfield with runs by Rosendahl and DeMarco Corbin, to go along with receptions by Abdul-Haqq, Al-Malik Moore and an 18 yarder to Cavitt.
- Once again, an Epting hurry thwarted the drive.
- The first units returned to the field and opened with a pair of completions by Croft to Chris Rowland sandwiched around two Roberson runs.
- After a defensive penalty, Croft teamed again with Rowland, this time for 27 yards, moving the offense to the eight.
- Two plays later, Croft found Rowland all alone in the end zone for the first score of the day.
- Both defensive units buckled down, allowing just 11 plays over the next three drives.
- Transfer Jatavious Harris highlighted the final drive with a 20 yard reception from Croft.
- The defense ended any threat by the offense after the Harris catch with three consecutive stellar plays.
- Dante' Ferguson Jr. stopped Shawn McColley in the backfield for a five yard loss, before Nick Harper Jr. broke up a pass and Epting recorded his final hurry/sack.
- The scrimmage was followed by a Red Zone drill and a Field Goal series.
RED ZONE DRILL (All drives started at the defensive 25 yard line)
- Croft ran the first two series', resulting in 10 points.
- Rowland and Newbold caught passes to move down to the five.
- Croft found Rowland in the end zone, but Harper and Ronnie Killings forced the receiver out of bounds for an incomplete pass.
- Antonio Zita converted a 27 yard field goal to end the first drive.
- The offense was forced with a fourth and one on the second series.
- DeMarco Corbin blasted through the line and acrried defenders for a seven yard gain.
- Croft found Al-Malik Moore for an eight yard pass play to the one, setting up a one yard scoring plunge by Charlie Davidson.
- Rosendahl wasted no time in his only series as he hit Robert Lilley-Sneed for a 25-yard score.
- It is the second consecutive year Rosendahl threw a touchdown pass on the first play of the Red Zone Drill during the first scrimmage.
FIELD GOAL DRILL
- Antonio Zita and Kaleb Mosley went head-to-head for eight kicks each.
- Zita finished 7-of-8, missing his second boot from 47 yards, but connected from 52 yards.
- Mosley was 7-of-9, missing on his first attempt from 42 yards and his first from 47.
- Mosley was given a second attempt on the first round from 47 yard, making his extra kick along with his second round from 47 and his 52-yarder.
- Senior Demry Croft finished 13-of-21 for 124 yards and a touchdown
- Junior Cameron Rosendahl completed 7-of-15 passes for 81 yards and a touchdown
- Te'kendrick Roberson led all rushers with 26 yards on six carries
- Chris Rowland caught seven passes for 74 yards, including one touchdown
- Miles Cavitt hauled in three passes totaling 36 yards
- Ronnie Killings had a scrimmage high eight tackles
- Terry Straughter and Fondren Hollis made five stops, while David Dorsey finished with four
- Dajour Nesbeth, Josh Green, Michael Bond, Raymond Horton and Justin Culpepper all notched three tackles
- Nick Harper, Jr. registered two pass breakups.
- Second scrimmage will take place on Saturday, August 17
- Mock Game is set for the evening of Thursday, Aug. 22
- The Senior Kickoff Luncheon is set for Friday, Aug. 23
- Fan day will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 11:00 a.m.
- Tennessee State will face Mississippi Valley State in the John Merritt Classic on Sat., August 31