|December 12, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||ALST|
|FG Percentage||.368 (14-38)||.213 (10-47)|
|3P FG Percentage||.263 (5-19)||.333 (7-21)|
|FT Percentage||.795 (31-39)||.667 (18-27)|
MEKOWULU - 14
Pichardo - 1
Johnson - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 64 - Alabama State 45
Records: TSU (5-3) – Alabama State (0-9)
Venue: Dunn-Oliver Acadome
Location: Montgomery, Ala.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. --- Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Week Christian Mekowulu recorded his third-consecutive double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Tennessee State men’s basketball team to a 64-45 road win at Alabama State on Tuesday night.
TSU (5-3) held a 33-29 halftime edge over Alabama State (0-9) and turned up the defensive intensity in the second half, holding the Hornets to 16 points in the final 20 minutes to pull away down the stretch. It was the second time holding an opponent under 20 points in a half this season.
A fast start by the Hornets gave Alabama State a 12-6 lead seven minutes into the game. TSU battled back and took the lead for good with 8:40 left in the first half.
In his first career start, Kamar McKnight tallied 14 points, while Montgomery, Ala. native Ken’Darrius Hamilton scored 10 points in his return to his hometown.
INSIDE THE NUMERS
- TSU LEADERS
- Points – Kamar McKnight and Christian Mekowulu - 14
- Rebounds – Christian Mekowulu - 10
- Assists – Armani Chaney - 3
- Kamar McKnight scored in double figures for the fourth game in a row and the fifth time this season.
- OVC Player of the Week Christian Mekowulu reached double digits for the fourth time this season and the 17th time in his career.
- TSU held an opponent to 20 or fewer times a half for the 16 time in the Dana Ford era.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alabama State used an 8-0 run early in the game to take a 12-6 lead seven minutes into the game.
- Darreon Reddick’s three at the 9:09 mark tied the scoring at 19-19 and McKnight’s acrobatic layup gave the Tigers a 21-19 edge on the following possession.
- The physical first half included a total of 42 free throws and 28 personal fouls.
- TSU, which led by as many as five points in the opening 20 minutes, closed the half with a 33-29 halftime advantage.
- The Tigers’ defense limited the Hornets to just two points in the first 6:30 of the second half as TSU’s edge grew to 41-31.
- TSU led by eight with 3:30 remaining before finishing the game on a 12-1 run.
- TSU is now 20-9 in the all-time series versus Alabama State.
- The Tigers are 2-1 in road games this season.
- TSU won last year’s meeting with Alabama State by a 68-46 final score.
- Tuesday’s game marked the first of six-consecutive road games for the Tigers.
- Kamar McKnight made his first start in a TSU uniform.
Redshirt Sophomore Guard Kamar McKnight
“Just moving the ball and picking my spots where I could get downhill. I just tried to make a play for myself and for others.”
- On what led to his offensive production
“It’s huge coming out and getting the first win. We’ll go back to the hotel and keep working on getting better and preparing for the next teams we play.”
- On winning the first game of the road trip
Redshirt Junior Forward Christian Mekowulu
“It’s very important. We’ve been working really hard all last week trying to get this win. I think it’s a good start for us to continue what we’re doing.”
- On the importance of getting a road win
“We came out and responded pretty well. We just hope to win more games on the road. We’re going to see where we go from here.”
- On responding to the long break between games
- TSU continues its road trip at North Carolina A&T on Dec. 15.