KANSAS CITY, Mo. --- Tennessee State men’s basketball redshirt junior Christian Mekowulu added another honor to his growing resume, earning National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Second Team All-District 19, it was announced on Tuesday.
The NABC All-District teams are voted on by NCAA Division I head coaches in the district. TSU's district - 19 - is made up of coaches from the Ohio Valley Conference.
- This season, Mekowulu earned Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year and a spot on the All-OVC Second Team.
- The forward from Lagos, Nigeria also earned adidas OVC Player of the Week twice and BoxToRow National Player of the Week once.
- Mekowulu finished second on the team with 12.7 points per game while leading the way with 7.9 rebounds per game.
- His 46 blocks on the season were the most for TSU since Michael Green finished with 52 blocks during the 2010-11 season.
- Mekowulu led TSU with seven double-doubles and posted 19 games with 10 or more points on the season.
- It is the third-consecutive season TSU has placed at least one player on the NABC All-District 19 team – 2016-17: Tahjere McCall (2nd Team) and Wayne Martin (2nd Team) – 2015-16: Keron DeShields (1st Team) and Tahjere McCall (2nd Team).
2017-18 NABC Division I All-District 19
Dylan Windler, Belmont
Jonathan Stark, Murray State
Averyl Ugba, Austin Peay
Denzel Mahoiney, SE Missouri State
Amanze Egekeze, Belmont
Christian Mekowulu, Tennessee State
Terry Taylor, Austin Peay
Terrell Miller Jr., Murray State
Ja Morant, Murray State
Nick Mayo, Eastern Kentucky