Event 1: 15th Murray State Invitational
Hosted by: Murray State
Location: Murray, Ky.
Course: Miller Memorial Golf Club
Details: Par-71, Yardage – 6,601
Weather at Start of Round1: 64, Overcast
Weather at Start of Round2: 70, Partly Sunny
Scoring: Stats Following Each Day at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 1: T7th of 12 (+8)
Place After Round 2: 7th of 12 (+14)
Top 5 Teams:
MURRAY, Ky. --- Seniors Scotty Hudson and Drew Owens finished the day in a tie for seventh after the first two rounds of the Murray State Invitational. The duo entered the clubhouse at 2-under and is just two strokes behind tournament leader Austin Knight from the host Murray State.
Hudson (69-71=140) opened the day by matching his career low with a 2-under, 69, and was tied for 5th after the first 18 holes. Hudson posted a 69 during the first round of the 2018 Big Blue Intercollegiate. The Franklin, Tenn. native dropped two spots in the standings after an Even, 71, in the afternoon session.
Owens (73-67=140) closed out the day tied with Hudson and two other golfers by posting the best score of the day with a 4-under, 67. The mark matched the first round score of Murray State’s James Boone. Owens also tied his career low, which he set during the second round of the 2018 BBI. The Atlanta, Ga. product jumped 18 spots, from 25th, after a 2-over, 73, during the morning round, to set him up for a chance at the title.
The Tigers as a team is in seventh in the 12 team competition, three strokes out of a top five finish, with a 14-over, 582. The host Racers are pacing the way with a 4-under, 564. Fellow Ohio Valley Conference opponent, Morehead State, sits in second place with a 1-over, 569.
Hudson was joined by John Tyminski and Tyler Woods who scored in both rounds for TSU. Tyminski (73-73=146) is in 24th place at 4-over, in the field of 72. Woods (74-75=149) is at 7-over after his first two rounds as a member of the Big Blue.
Sam Gatlin (76-75=151) scored for the Tigers in the first round, while Rosario Falzone (81-71=152) bounced back with an Even, 71, in the afternoon to mark for TSU.
Owens scores were not eligible for the Tigers, as he is playing as an individual in the opening event of the season.
John Tyminski (Started on Hole 5)
- Started off each round with double bogeys.
- Struggled on ball striking on the day, despite a solid day putting and chipping.
- Highlight of the day came on the par-4, 14th.
- Hit a 54 degree wedge to two feet to set up birdie putt.
Scotty Hudson (Hole 6)
- Made a chip in birdie on hole No. 2 during second round.
- Hit three drives over 330 yards, all led to birdies.
- Sank a 40-footer for birdie on No. 9.
- Dropped a 25 foot putt for par on No. 17, sparking his second round.
- Topped the playing field by shooting 3-under on the par-3's, matching tournament leader Austin Knight.
Tyler Woods (Hole 7)
- First birdie came on No. 17; hit a 121 yard shot to 10 feet before sinking putt.
- Ran into trouble pulling a 3-iron on No. 5.
- Hit a flighted 8-iron from 152 yards to three feet for birdie.
- Opened the second round with back-to-back birdies on No. 7 and No. 8.
- On the par-4, 7th, sank a 15-footer after knocking approach shot on the green from 77 yards out.
- Followed by hitting third shot on the par-5, 8th, from 95 yards to eight feet, before converting putt to start the round at 2-under.
- Hit a wedge to three feet from 125 yards on the par-5, 12th, for final birdie of the day.
Sam Gatlin (Hole 8)
- Closed out the first round with a chip in birdie.
- Hit wedge from 30 yards out which two bounced and wedged between the cup and flag.
- Before he could get to the hole, the flag shifted and the ball dropped to the bottom of the cup.
- Second round, birdied the par-4, 13th, hitting a 4-iron from 200 yards out to three feet.
- Sank the putt for the second of his three birdies on the day.
Rosario Falzone (Hole 9)
- First round, birdied hole 18, hit knock down 6-iron to 12 feet above the hole.
- Birdied holes 11, 12, 17 and No. 6 during the second round.
- Hit wedge on No. 6 from 78 yards to two inches for tap in birdie.
(I) Drew Owens (Hole 16)
- Consistency led the senior to a seventh place placing after day one.
- Played the par-3’s and the par-4’s at Even on the day.
- Finished 2-under on par-5 holes.
- Did not finish in the top four of the tournament in the previous mentioned categories.
Day Two: The final round will take place on Tuesday with a Shotgun Start at 9:00 a.m. The forecast shows a slight chance of rain with gusts at 8 mph out of the NE and a high of 77.
1. Austin Knight (Murray State) 68-70=138, -4
T7. Scotty Hudson 69-71=140, -2
T7. Drew Owens (I) 73-67=140 -2
T24. John Tyminski 73-73=146, +4
T40. Tyler Woods 74-75=149 +7
T47. Sam Gatlin 76-75=151, +9
T51. Rosario Falzone 81-71=152, +10
|John Tyminski||15 (7-6)||19 (9-10)||55 (27-28)||26 (13-13)||4 (2-2)|
|Scotty Hudson||28 (15-13)||24 (12-12)||60 (30-30)||24 (12-12)||7 (4-3)|
|Tyler Woods||--||--||--||20 (12-8)||5 (2-3)|
|Sam Gatlin||16 (9-7)||15 (5-10)||57 (27-30)||22 (12-10)||3 (1-2)|
|Rosario Falzone||10 (4-6)||15 (6-9)||62 (33-29)||18 (8-10)||5 (1-4)|
|Drew Owens (I)||--||--||--||--||--|
SENIOR SCOTTY HUDSON
(On expectations for opening tournament)
“My game plan is just to focus and stay in the moment on every shot. I did that well today and bounced back very well after each of my bogeys. My goal is to win and I'm glad that I have put myself in the position to pull it off.”