Event 8: Ohio Valley Conference Championship
Hosted by: Ohio Valley Conference
Location: Muscle Shoals, Ala.
Course: Robert Trent Jones at the Shoals - Fighting Joe
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 7,258
Weather at Start of Round 1: Sunny, 54
Weather at the End of the Round: Sunny, 79
Place After 1st Round: 9th of 11 (+13)
Top 5 Teams:
- Par-3 Scoring – Scotty Hudson, Even
- Hudson is tied for the third best result for Par-3 scoring
- Par-4 Scoring – Tyler Woods, -1
- Woods has posted the fourth best score on all Par-4’s
- Eagles – Woods recorded one on the day and was one of two golfers in the field of 55 to accomplish the feat (Zac Viminitz – Morehead State, 2)
- Birdies – Rosario Falzone carded three birdies
- Billy Basham of Eastern Kentucky registered eight birdies on Sunday
- Pars – Drew Owens finished the first round with 14 pars
- The total for Owens was the third most of all golfers during round one
- Erik Lindwall of Eastern Kentucky notched 17 pars
MUSCLE SHOALS, Ala. --- The Tennessee State men’s golf team started fast during the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference Championship on Sunday morning. The Tigers jumped out to a quick lead with a team 3-Under through the first seven holes.
Tyler Woods spearheaded the run with a birdie on the par-4, 2nd, and highlighted the day with an eagle on the par-4, 4th. Woods hit his approach shot from 140 yards out to just in front of the pin, which then bounced past the flag before spinning back into the hole.
Sam Gatlin added support with three birdies through the first seven holes and sat at 1-under. Rosario Falzone started the day at 2-over, while Drew Owens posted a 1-over through seven.
The Tigers ran into trouble on the back nine as Gatlin, Falzone, Owens and Scotty Hudson all finished the final nine holes at 2-over. Hudson used three birdies to offset three bogeys and a double.
Woods sank a birdie on the par-4, 14th, which was sandwiched by three double bogeys. The junior entered the clubhouse with a 5-over, 77. Woods joined Gatlin, Falzone and Owens in scoring for TSU on day one of the three day event. Gatlin led the way with a 2-over, 74, while Falzone and Owens each carded a 3-over, 75. Owens finished the round with eight consecutive pars.
Hudson posted a non-scoring 6-over, 78, and will be the first Tiger on the course. The senior tees off at 8:50 a.m.
Up Next: The Tigers will take to the course on Monday morning for round two of the Ohio Valley Conference Championship.
Scotty Hudson - 8:50 a.m.
Tyler Woods - 9:00 a.m.
Drew Owens - 9:10 a.m.
Rosario Falzone - 9:20 a.m.
Sam Gatlin - 9:30 a.m.
Leaderboard (55 Golfers)
1. Billy Basham (Eastern Kentucky) 66, -6
T30. Sam Gatlin 74, +2
T35. Rosario Falzone 75, +3
T35. Drew Owens 75, +3
43. Tyler Woods 77, +5
T44. Scotty Hudson 78, +6