NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Facing Ohio Valley Conference competition for the first time this season, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team was handed a 6-1 home loss to preseason favorite Tennessee Tech on Friday at Hadley Park. Senior Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) won his No. 4 singles match for TSU’s point.
“I was very happy with the way the guys played, the most important thing is the heart they played with,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Kyle (Burton) had a really good match. He showed heart and patience. Also, Shashank (Nautiyal) played really well. We have never been this competitive with Tennessee Tech, so I felt good about that. Overall, it’s not about the win or the loss, it’s about the effort and I’m excited about that.”
Tennessee Tech won the doubles point with victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. At the No. 3 position, Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India) and Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) were leading 5-4 in a match that went unfinished.
Facing Marcos Bernardes at No. 4 singles, Burton lost the first set, 6-1. He was able to recover for a 7-5 win in the second set and finished with a 12-10 victory in the third set tiebreaker.
At No. 2 singles, Nautiyal gave Alberto Esteban a tough match, eventually falling in three sets. Nautiyal won the first set before Esteban mounted a comeback.
The Tigers have a quick turnaround as they host Jacksonville State tomorrow at Hadley Park at 1 p.m.
1. Esteban, Alberto/Mena, Eduardo (TTU) def. BERNAL, Daniel/DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-1
2. Nicolas, Guille/Alfonso, Jorge (TTU) def. BURTON, Kyle/MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-3
3. NAUTIYAL, Shashank/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) leading Cintas, Alvaro/Bernardes, Marcos (TTU) 5-4, unfinished
1. Mena, Eduardo (TTU) def. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Esteban, Alberto (TTU) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
3. Nicolas, Guille (TTU) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. Bernardes, Marcos (TTU) 1-6, 7-5, 12-10
5. Alfonso, Jorge (TTU) def. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Tajes, Carlos (TTU) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-0, 6-0