O’Fallon, IL --- Playing two road matches on Friday, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team came away with a 1-1 record. The Tigers began the evening by losing to Mckendree 6-3, before bouncing back to take a 5-1 win over Quincy.
“We were in good shape after doubles and going into singles with a lead.” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Kyle picked up our lone singles win which is two for him. He beat a great player. Kyle’s match could have gone either way. Matt, Grant and Tom all lost in three sets. We have to show more heart and fight. We blew too many leads in the matches we lost and it has to improve now. I know those players can step it up; and I will make sure they do. We have to have a better team effort.”
--Tennessee State 3, Mckendree 6--
TSU started off doubles play with Grant Maddox and Matt Brown losing in the No. 1 slot 8-2. The Tigers would bounce back with an 8-5 No. 2 win from the team of Kyle Burton and Tom Parant. Jorge Rodriguez and Shashank Nautiyal capped off doubles play with a hard fought 9-7 win.
In singles Burton was the lone Tiger to capture a win playing at No. 5. Burton has been undefeated this spring in singles play. Three other Tigers had extremely tough matches before falling in the third set. Brown playing at No. 1, Parant playing at No. 4 and Maddox playing at No. 6 all took their opponents to the third set.
1. Muller/ Moreno (Mckendree) def. Maddox/Brown (TSU) 8-2
2. Burton/Parant (TSU) def. Hu/McCafferty (Mckendree) 8-5
3. Nautiyal/Rodriguez (TSU) def. Jevtic/Egbers (Mckendree) 9-7
1. Muller (Mckendree) def. Brown (TSU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-6
2. Hu (Mckendree) def. Rodriguez (TSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Moreno (Mckendree) def. Nautiyal (TSU) 7-6 (12-10), 6-3
4. De Guzman (Mckendree) def. Parant (TSU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
5. Burton (TSU) def. Montalban (Mckendree) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jevtic (Mckendree) def. Maddox (TSU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-8
--Tennessee State 5, Quincy 1—
The Tigers bounced back from a 6-3 defeat from earlier Friday evening to finish the weekend defeating Quincy 4-1. The Tigers improved their singles play against the Hawks winning three singles matches.
Kyle Burton and Tom Parant dropped their doubles match playing in the No. 1 position by a 6-4 score. The Tigers recovered with doubles wins coming from Grant Maddox and Matthew Brown at No. 2; and Jorge Rodriguez and Shashank Nautiyal winning 6-0 at No. 3.
TSU fared a lot better in singles play with 3 wins and leading in two other matches. Rodriguez won the No. 2 singles in straight sets. Nautiyal followed in similar fashion winning his No.3 match 6-1, 6-2. Maddox defeated Pat Anderson at the last singles position 6-0, 6-1 for the last Tigers win.
1. Fzlgasden/Adams(Quincy) def. Burton/Parant (TSU) 6-4
2. Maddox/Brown (TSU) def. Vayser/Lozier (Quincy) 6-3
3. Nautiyal/Rodriguez (TSU) def. Lesko/McMillan (Quincy) 6-0
1. Fzlgasden (Quincy) def. Brown (TSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Rodriguez (TSU) def. Vayser (Quincy) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nautiyal (TSU) def. Lozier (Quincy) 6-1, 6-2
4. Parant (TSU) up on Adams (Quincy) 6-3, 5-2
5.Burton (TSU) up on Pauley (Quincy) 6-0, 5-4
6. Maddox (TSU) def. Anderson (Quincy) 6-0, 6-1
UP NEXT: The Tigers will face Mississippi Valley State on Saturday, Feb. 18 at home.