NASHVILLE --- The Tigers took on Austin Peay in their first Ohio Valley Conference match of the season. The Tennessee State men’s tennis team was handed a 6-1 home loss to Austin Peay State University on Friday at the Hadley Park Bubble. Senior Kyle Burton won his No. 4 singles match for TSU’s point.
“The men did not play bad. The doubles matches came down to a couple of points and we may have had a 1-0 advantage,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “In singles we just did not have the same intestity as them. Kyle took care of business and is playing great. Matt had a lead and could not hold on. He has to execute when up that much. We have to get back to the drawing board and get ready for our next match.”
Austin Peay captured the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The team of Shashank Nautiyal and Jorge Rodriguez played at the No.3 spot and were tied 5-5 in a match that went unfinished.
Burton was the lone Tiger to win in singles, earning a straight set victory at No. 5. A straight set win was the first OVC singles victory of the season for TSU.
At No. 1 singles, Matthew Brown dropped a three set heartbreaker. After winning the first set 6-2, Brown dropped the following two sets by the same 6-4 score.
The Tigers host Eastern Illinois Apr. 1 at Hadley Park at 10 a.m.
- Manuel Montenegro (APSU) def. BROWN, Matthew (TSUM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSUM) 6-2, 6-2
- Aaron Jumonville (APSU) def. PARANT, Tom (TSUM) 6-1, 6-2
- Alex Kartsonis (APSU) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) 6-1, 7-6
- BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) def. Aleh Drobysh (APSU) 6-3, 6-1
- Chad Woodham (APSU) def. RICHARDSON, Kato (TSUM) 6-2, 6-4
- Aleh Drobysh/Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. BROWN, Matthew/MADDOX, Grant (TSUM) 6-4
- Aaron Jumonville/Manuel Montenegro (APSU) def. BURTON, Kyle/PARANT, Tom (TSUM) 6-3
- Alex Kartsonis/Chad Woodham (APSU) vs. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) no result