MEMPHIS, Tenn. --- In a mid-week matchup that would take the Tennessee State men’s tennis team three hours to the west to take on fellow HBCU LeMoyne-Owen, the Tigers took over in the pro set, winning 9-0.
“They played really well,” said head coach Monroe Walker. “It was a good to play tennis before we head into our weekend matches. LeMoyne is getting stronger every year. They fought well.”
With a new pairing at No. 1, freshman Tanishq Mahendru and Georgia native Larry Sloan rolled through the Magicians, 8-1, followed by a Pavle Popovic and Stefan Koruga shutout.
Kato Richardson, local player from Hendersonville, Tenn., played at No. 4 and defeated Marial Lenoir, 8-0. Every Tiger pulled out a win in singles play, leading to the Tiger’s fifth shutout of the spring season.
“They were a good team that fought hard,” said Nashville-native Kato Richardson. “I’m especially impressed with the number one on the men’s team – Taylor Rubin.”
Big Blue returns to play Saturday for a doubleheader at the Currey Tennis Center against Vanderbilt. The first serve is at 9 a.m.
- SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) def. Rubin, Taylor (LMOC) 6-3, 6-1
- KORUGA, Stefan (TSUM) def. Bady, Aric (LMOC) 6-0
- POPOVIC, Pavle (TSUM) def. Briggs, Martez (LMOC) 8-0
- RICHARDSON, Kato (TSUM) def. Lenoir, Marial (LMOC) 8-0
- MAHENDRU, Tanishq (TSUM) def. Terrell, Dareyon (LMOC) 8-1
- No player (TSUM) def. No player (LMOC), by default
- MAHENDRU, Tanishq/SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) def. Rubin, Taylor/Bady, Aric (LMOC) 8-1
- POPOVIC, Pavle/KORUGA, Stefan (TSUM) def. Briggs, Martez/Lenoir, Marial (LMOC) 8-0
- RICHARDSON, Kato/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) def. No player/Terrell, Dareyon (LMOC), by default