NASHVILLE --- Friday proved to be an exciting day for Tennessee State tennis. The women’s tennis team kicked off the day with Western Kentucky, followed by a late evening doubleheader against fellow HBCU Arkansas Pine Bluff.
Inside the Hadley Park Bubble, the Tigers shut down doubles play against C-USA’s WKU as sophomore duo Morgan Cage and Aarushi Kakkar defeated Lucia Diaz Saez and Millie Khoury on court two to even out the doubles score, 1-1. Freshman Mackenzie Beckham and veteran Ashia Jones paired up to clinch the doubles point, 7-6 (4) at No. 3, marking the first doubles point victory against a non-HBCU DI opponent this season.
The match came down to the wire as Tennessee State led the Hilltoppers 3-2 moving into the final two singles matchups. Judit Gonzalez Agud (No. 5) and Zeniece Charles-Hall (No. 6) clinched the afternoon for WKU, defeating Ashia Jones, 6-4, 6-2 and Lydia Jones, 6-0, 6-0, respectively.
Down 0-1 on the day, the women had a short break before stepping back on the court with the men’s tennis team to take on Arkansas Pine Bluff.
Fortunately, both Tiger teams swept the Lions with ease.
The women clinched the doubles point, allowing the Lions to win just one game at No. 1, and with an incomplete roster, the men finished doubles play up, 1-0 after Juan Rojas Antezana and Maksims Kazijevs swept Junius Ross Kameron Myers, 6-0.
With the momentum of doubles victories behind them, the Tigers served their way through singles play as the women bageled the Lions on courts three through six, clinching the match. Pragati Natraj, at No. 2 allowed just three games, defeating her opponent, 6-2, 6-1, leaving play on court one, unfinished.
On the men’s side, the Lions put up a fight, winning a total of 26 games. The Tigers outlasted the battle with victories on each court.
TSU’s women are now 5-3 on the season, and the men are 5-4 as they enter conference play at Austin Peay March 23 in Clarksville, Tenn.
TENNESSEE STATE WOMEN 3, Western Kentucky 4
- Laura Bernardos/Lisa Friess (WKU) def. NATRAJ, Pragati/SOLE, Claudia (TSUW) 6-1
- CAGE, Morgan/KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSUW) def. Lucia Diaz Saez/Millie Khoury (WKU) 6-4
- BECKHAM, Mackenzie/JONES, Ashia (TSUW) def. Judit Gonzalez Agud/Zeniece Charles-Hall (WKU) 7-6 (7-4)
- KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSUW) def. Millie Khoury (WKU) 6-2, 6-2
- Laura Bernardos (WKU) def. NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) 6-4, 6-2
- Lisa Friess (WKU) def. BECKHAM, Mackenzie (TSUW) 6-3, 7-5
- SOLE, Claudia (TSUW) def. Lucia Diaz Saez (WKU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
- Judit Gonzalez Agud (WKU) def. JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 6-4, 6-2
- Zeniece Charles-Hall (WKU) def. JONES, Lydia (TSUW) 6-0, 6-0
TENNESSEE STATE WOMEN 5, Arkansas Pine Bluff 0
- NATRAJ, Pragati/SOLE, Claudia (TSUW) def. Manoja Reddy/Ariel Graves (UAPBW) 6-1
2. CAGE, Morgan/KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSUW) def. Karissa Fenwick/Malaik Muhammad (UAPBW) 6-0
3. BECKHAM, Mackenzie/JONES, Ashia (TSUW) def. Cierra Fenwick/Ta'Miya Strickland (UAPBW) 6-0
- KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSUW) vs. Ariel Graves (UAPBW) 7-6 (7-5), 1-0, unfinished
- NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. Manoja Reddy (UAPBW) 6-2, 6-1
- BECKHAM, Mackenzie (TSUW) def. Karissa Fenwick (UAPBW) 6-0, 6-0
- SOLE, Claudia (TSUW) def. Cierra Fenwick (UAPBW) 6-0, 6-0
- GANDY, Phoenix (TSUW) def. Malaik Muhammad (UAPBW) 6-0, 6-0
- JOHNSON, Tatyana (TSUW) vs. Ta'Miya Strickland (UAPBW) unfinished
TENNESSEE STATE MEN 7, Arkansas Pine Bluff 0
- KORUGA, Stefan/MISDRACHIS, Leandros (TSUM) def. Le'Darrien Ledbetter/Thomas Harris (UAPB) 7-6 (1-0)
- ROJAS ANTEZANA, Juan/KAZIJEVS, Maksims (TSUM) def. Junius Ross/Kameron Myers (UAPB) 6-0
- GONZALEZ, Alberto/SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) def. No player/No player (UAPB), by forfeit
- MISDRACHIS, Leandros (TSUM) def. Le'Darrien Ledbetter (UAPB) 6-4, 6-2
- KAZIJEVS, Maksims (TSUM) def. Thomas Harris (UAPB) 6-3, 6-4
- KORUGA, Stefan (TSUM) def. Simon Lewis (UAPB) 6-1, 6-3
- ROJAS ANTEZANA, Juan (TSUM) def. Junius Ross (UAPB) 6-1, 6-1
- SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) def. Kameron Myers (UAPB) 6-3, 6-4
- RICHARDSON, Kato (TSUM) def. No player (UAPB), by forfeit