NCAA EAST PRELIMINARY ROUND
Thursday, May 25 – Saturday, May 27
Lexington, Ky. | UK Track
STARTING LINE: Quamel Prince (Nashville, Tenn.), Kareem Nicholas (Atlanta, Ga.) and Kyle Washington-Scott (St. Louis, Mo.) will represent the Tennessee State men’s track and field team at the NCAA East Preliminary Round on May 25-27 in Lexington, Ky. The three Flying Tigers earned a spot at the competition by finishing in the top 48 in the East Region in their respective events during the outdoor season.
ATHLETE – EVENT, TIME/MARK (REGIONAL SEED)
- Quamel Prince – 800m, 1:48.21 (#17)
- Kareem Nicholas – Long Jump, 7.66m (#20)
- Kyle Washington-Scott – Shot Put, 17.50m (#43)
Thursday, May 25
- Long Jump (Kareem Nicholas): 3:30 p.m. CT
- 800m First Round (Quamel Prince): 7:35 p.m. CT
Friday, May 26
- Shot Put (Kyle Washington-Scott): 3:30 p.m. CT
- 800m Quarterfinals (Quamel Prince): 5:45 p.m. CT
MOVING ON: The top 12 finishers in each event at the NCAA Preliminary Rounds will earn a spot at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Ore., which are scheduled for June 7-10. The Preliminary Round is broken up into East (Lexington, Ky.) and West (Austin, Texas) regions.
HOW THEY GOT HERE: Quamel Prince turned in a season-best 800m time of 1:48.21 at the Lenny Lyles / Clark Wood Invitational in Louisville, Ky. on April 29. For Kareem Nicholas, a qualifier in the long jump, his season best occurred at TSU’s first outdoor meet at the Weems Baskin Invitational in Columbia, S.C. on March 24 with a distance of 7.66m (25’1.75”). Kyle Washington-Scott’s top shot put mark of 17.50m (57’5”) also came at the Lenny Lyles / Clark Wood Invitational.
2017 OVC HONORS FOR TSU’S ENTRIES
- Indoor: OVC Track Athlete of the Year; 800m Champion; 400m Champion; 4x400m Relay Silver Medalist
- Outdoor: 800m Champion; 4x400m Relay Champion; 4x100m Relay Bronze Medalist
- Indoor: Long Jump Silver Medalist; Triple Jump Silver Medalist
- Outdoor: Long Jump Champion; Triple Jump Champion
- Indoor: Shot Put Bronze Medalist
- Outdoor: Discus Bronze Medalist