NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University athletic department was well represented on the list of Nashville's Top 60 Over 60 Sports Personalities compiled by The Tennessean.
TSU Director of Athletics Teresa Phillips, radio personalities Albert Dawson and Greg Pogue, former AD Howard Gentry Jr. and TSU football alum Maurice Fitzgerald all made the list.
- Teresa Phillips, 60
- Phillips has served as TSU’s Director of Athletics since April of 2002.
- During her time as TSU’s Director of Athletics, Phillips has overseen a number of facility upgrades including the building of the indoor practice facility.
- Phillips serves on a number of committees both regionally and nationally. She is currently on the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament Selection Committee.
- A former standout on the Vanderbilt women’s basketball team, Phillips was recently inducted in VU’s Athletics Hall of Fame.
- She was a Vanderbilt women’s basketball assistant coach (1981-84) before head coaching stops at Fisk (1984-89) and Tennessee State (1989-2000).
- As the Head Coach of the Lady Tigers, Phillips won three Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year awards and was named USA Today National Coach of the Year in 1990.
- Albert Dawson, 66
- Dawson began working with the TSU athletic department in the capacity of chief statistician for football games.
- He made the switch to the radio broadcast team in 1994.
- Having called TSU games for more than two decades, Dawson currently works alongside Greg Pogue on TSU’s broadcasts.
- The 1973 graduate of nearby Fisk does play-by-play for TSU women’s basketball, while providing analysis for football and men’s basketball.
- Greg Pogue, 61
- Pogue began working alongside Albert Dawson on TSU’s radio broadcasts in 2015.
- In his current role, Pogue serves as the play-by-play voice for TSU football and men’s basketball with analysis duties for women’s basketball.
- He also hosts the TSU Football and Basketball Coaches Shows on Sunday morning.
- Locally, Pogue is the co-host of “The Greg Pogue & Big Joe Show” on WNSR 560 AM and 95.9 FM.
- During his career, Pogue has covered high school sports, the Titans and Vanderbilt for the Nashville Banner and was the Sports Editor for The Daily News Journal in Murfreesboro.
- Howard Gentry Jr., 66
- Gentry was the TSU’s Director of Athletics from 1994-97.
- He worked as TSU’s radio broadcaster for football and basketball for more than 20 years and still works on TSU’s football web stream broadcasts.
- He serves on the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl and Nashville Sports Council Boards of Directors.
- Maurice Fitzgerald, 62
- Fitzgerald suited up for the TSU football team in the mid-to-late 1970s under legendary Head Coach John Merritt.
- Fitzgerald went on to win two football state titles as the head coach at Pearl-Cohn.
- Now entering his second season as the head coach at Hillsboro, Fitzgerald has a combined head coaching record of 131-87.