GAME 17: Tennessee State 9, Cornell 0 (5 inn)
RECORDS: TSU (2-15), Cornell (2-3)
FIELD: Patricia Wilson Field
LOCATION: DeLand, Fla.
WEATHER: Sunny, 68
DeLAND, Fla. --- The Tennessee State offense exploded for its largest run production outing of the season as they routed Cornell in the final game of the Hatters Classic. The Tigers needed just five innings to pick up their second win of the season, 9-0.
TSU improved to 2-15 as they tallied 10 hits on the day. Pitcher Lauren Powell made the runs hold up as she tossed a complete game five-hit shutout. Powell improved to 1-9 as she picked up her first career shutout.
The Tigers started fast as they strung four consecutive hits together to take an early 3-0 lead. Katie Schneider delivered the big blow with a two-run double to left center to plate Kasey Cox and Reese Weber. Schneider scored two batters later on a wild pitch for the three run advantage.
The Tigers added to the lead with four runs in the third inning. The Tigers turned to the speed game as pinch runner Ariel Johnson scored on a Patton Akers squeeze bunt. TSU pulled off the double steal which scored Kierra Ware, as Akers moved to second. Maddison Clark followed with a hard shot to center for a triple that scored Akers. The Tigers closed out the scoring in the third with an RBI single to plate Clark.
The Tigers would go on to score two in the fourth setting up a run-rule opportunity. Lauren Powell made the score hold up as she tossed a five-hit, no walk shutout. Powell earned her first win of the season and improved to 1-9. .
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers produced their highest run (9) and hit (10) total of the season.
- All nine batters in the lineup reached base, eight recorded a hit.
- Kierra Ware led the team going 2-for-2 and a walk.
- Ware scored twice, stole a base and notched her first career triple.
- Katie Schneider finished 2-for-3 with a double, two runs and two RBI.
- Emma Colegrove went 1-for-1 with a walk and a sacrifice bunt.
- Sarah Snell, Kasey Cox, Reese Weber, Tassy Lyles and Maddison Clark all tallied hits.
- The Tigers outhit their opponents for the fourth time this season.
- Lauren Powell tossed a five-hit shutout.
- This was the first shutout in the career for the junior.
- In the top of the first, Patton Akers gunned down a base runner trying to go from first to third to thwart a scoring threat for Cornell.
- Kasey Cox opened the hitting for the Tigers with a one out single through the left side of the infield.
- Reese Weber followed with a double to right center to move Cox to third.
- Katie Schneider put the Tigers on the board with a two-run double to left center.
- Emma Colegrove continued the rally with a singl,e allowing Schneider to advance 60 feet.
- A batter later, Schneider made the score 3-0 as she scurried home on a wild pitch.
- In the third, Colegrove led off with a walk and was replaced by pinch runner Ariel Johnson.
- Kierra Ware singled and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Tassy Lyles, advancing Johnson to third.
- Patton Akers dropped a squeeze bunt to bring home Johnson making the score 4-0.
- The Tigers pulled off a double steal as Akers swipes second and Ware steals home.
- Maddison Clark delivers her first career triple to plate Akers.
- Sarah Snell added to the lead with an RBI single to bring home Clark.
- The defense continued to play solid defense behind starter Lauren Powell as they turned a double play to end the inning.
- Third baseman Tassy Lyles snagged a ball ticketed for the 5-6 hole and tossed it to Cox who made the turn at second and completed the play to Schneider at first.
- The Tigers closed out the scoring with two runs in the fourth.
- Schneider singled and moved into scoring position on a Colegrove sacrifice bunt.
- Kierra Ware drove a ball over the heads of the outfield for a triple that chased home Schneider.
- TSU picked up the ninth and final run as Lyles beat out the squeeze bunt attempt which allowed Ware to make the score 9-0.
- In the fifth, Powell took a ball off the shins, but the ball shot over to Lyles at third, who continued the play to throw out the leadoff batter
- Powell capped off the victory with her lone strikeout of the game.
The Tigers return home to face Memphis in a single game on Wednesday, Mar. 7. First pitch is set for 4:00 p.m. at Tiger Field.
- TSU wore the grey tops and grey pants with blue socks
- This marked the first run-rule victory for the Tigers since Apr. 1, 2017, a 10-2 win over Morehead State
- The game versus Morehead State is also the last time the Tigers scored nine or more runs
- The last time TSU recorded double digit hits was on Mar. 22 when they collected 10 against Middle Tennessee.
- The Tigers registered a shutout for the first time since Apr. 19, 2017, a 7-0 victory at Alabama A&M
- Megan Huppee and Kierra Ware were named to the All-Hatter Classic Team