GAME 18: Memphis 6, Tennessee State 1
RECORDS: TSU (2-16), Memphis (12-5)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Cloudy, 44
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State softball team returned home for a single game against Memphis on Wednesday afternoon in the midst of 10-games in a 10-day stretch. TSU fell to the visiting Tigers 6-1 and dropped to 2-16 on the season, while Memphis improves to 12-5.
Lauren Powell went the distance and was tagged with the loss to fall to 1-10. Powell scattered seven hits and allowed three earned runs. Memphis hurler Molly Smith improved to 7-2 as she fanned 13 Tigers and allowed three hits.
Emma Colegrove and pinch hitter Erica O’Kane tried to spark the Big Blue with doubles, but were both stranded at second in the fourth and sixth, respectively. The Tigers were able to scratch a run in the seventh as Patton Akers scored on a single by Sarah Snell.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers were held to three hits on the day.
- Sarah Snell earned an RBI single in the seventh inning.
- Emma Colegrove and Erica O'Kane recorded doubles.
- O'Kane knocked her third two-bagger of the season, while Colegrove collected her second.
- Snell, Patton Akers and Maddison Clark all worked walks.
- Akers scored the lone Tiger run.
- Lauren Powell suffered the loss and fell to 1-10 as she scattered seven hits and allowed three earned runs.
- Tennessee State threatened in the first as Sarah Snell walked a stole a pair of bases.
- Reese Weber was hit by a pitch to give the Tigers on the corners.
- The game remained scoreless as TSU was unable to push a run across.
- Memphis struck first as they scored five runs on four hits off starter Lauren Powell.
- The visiting Tigers were also aided by four TSU miscues in the fourth.
- Emma Colegrove ripped a double into left center for the first hit of the game, as TSU was held hitless by Memphis hurler Molly Smith for 3.2 innings.
- The Tigers were once again stopped and did not get another runner into scoring position until the sixth inning as Erica O’Kane delivered a pinch hit double to the fence down the left field line.
- O’Kane was stranded on second, leaving the Tigers one chance to get on the board.
- Patton Akers and Maddison Clark were issued two out walks in the bottom half of the seventh inning.
- Snell drove a 3-2 pitch up the middle to chase home Akers to cut the score to 6-1.
- The Tigers would not get any closer as they fell to 2-16.
The Tigers travel to Memphis to take part in the UofM Softball Tournament set for Mar. 10-11. TSU will play four games on the final two days of the three day event.
- TSU wore the all white uniforms with blue stirups with red and white horizontal stripes
- This was the sixth of ten games in a ten day span