|March 10, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: POWELL (2-10)||7.0||3||0||0||1||2|
|Loss: SOSBY (1-1)||4.2||1||3||3||3||4|
|March 10, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||R||H||E|
|Win: DOUD (2-3)||5.0||3||0||0||2||2|
|Loss: O'KANE (0-3)||3.0||8||8||6||2||2|
GAME 19: Tennessee State 5, Bowling Green 0
GAME 20: Butler 8, Tennessee State 0 (5 inn)
RECORDS: TSU (3-17), Bowling Green (12-8), Butler (6-11)
FIELD: Tiger Softball Complex
LOCATION: Memphis, Tenn.
WEATHER: Partly Sunny, 63
MEMPHIS, Tenn. --- Lauren Powell tossed a three-hit shutout in Tennessee State’s opener at the UofM Softball Tournament to help earn a split on Saturday. The Tigers defeated Bowling Green 5-0 before dropping a 8-0 five inning contest against Butler. TSU moved to 3-17 on the season as Butler improved to 6-11 and BGSU fell to 12-8.
One week after Powell earned her first collegiate shutout, the junior improved on the performance by holding BGSU to three hits and one walk. The hurler was efficient throwing 68 of her 97 pitches for strikes (70 percent). Powell recorded two strike outs in the game and improved her record to 2-10.
The offense stepped up in fifth inning with a three run, two out rally. TSU used two walks, two hit batters and a single to break open a scoreless tie. With two outs and a runner on first, Sarah Snell and Kasey Cox earned consecutive walks to load the bases. After a pitching change, Reese Weber and Katie Schneider brought home a run a piece after they were hit by pitches in back-to-back at bats. The final run of the inning came as Emma Colegrove picked up an infield single to plate Erica O’Kane.
The Tigers added a pair of insurance runs in the seventh as the Tigers notched four of the team’s six hits. Katie Schneider kept a single just inside the third base line by hitting the bag to bring home Sarah Snell. Cox made the scored to up the score to 5-0 on a sacrifice fly by Emma Colegrove.
It was all Butler in game two, as they piled up ten hits, scoring four runs in the first and another four in the third. Bulldogs pitcher Kaitlin Doud held the Tigers to three hits and issued two walks in the contest.
The Tigers tried to threaten in the fifth with hits by Patton Akers and Snell, but were unable to push a run across to extend the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sarah Snell finished 3-for-4 with three walks and two runs scored on the day.
- Katie Schneider and Emma Colegrove each finished 1-for-3 with two RBI in the opener.
- Tassy Lyles recorded a hit in both games.
- Kasey Cox and Patton Akers collected hits on the day.
- Lauren Powell held Bowling Green to three hits in her second career shutout.
- Erica O'Kane fell to 0-3 after being tagged with the loss against Butler.
- Tori Hart pitched a scoreless inning in relief against the Bulldogs.
vs. BOWLING GREEN
- The game remained scoreless through the first four innings as Lauren Powell surrendered hits in the first, fourth and fifth innings.
- Powell was in command, allowing just one Falcon to reach third base all game.
- Sarah Snell registered the first hit for the Tigers with a single in the third.
- Snell swiped her second stolen base of the game, but was stranded at second.
- Tassy Lyles was hit by pitch to open the fifth and proceeded to steal second base.
- Lyles was thrown out at home on a squeeze attempt leaving Maddison Clark at first with two outs.
- Snell and pinch hitter Erica O’Kane earned walks to load the bases.
- Reese Weber and Katie Schneider were both hit by a pitch to bring home Clark and Snell, respectively.
- TSU increased their lead to 3-0 on an infield single by Emma Colegrove to bring home O’Kane.
- In the seventh, the Tigers added two insurance runs.
- Snell and Kasey Cox opened the frame with hits and each moved 60 feet as Weber was once again hit by a pitch.
- Katie Schneider ripped a ball off the third base bag to bring home Snell.
- One batter later, Colegrove hit a sacrifice fly to right field to chase home Cox making the score 5-0.
- Sarah Snell open the contest with a walk and moved to second on a Tassy Lyles sacrifice bunt.
- Snell advanced to third as Erica O'Kane reached on an error.
- The Tigers were unable to score before giving up four runs in the first.
- Butler added four in the third to extend the lead to 8-0.
- Emma Colegrove and Katie Schneider reached on errors in the fourth before stranding both runners.
- The Tigers tried to to keep the game alive in the fifth with hits by Patton Akers and Snell.
- The Bulldogs ended the threat to secure the game.
The Tigers will face Mississippi Valley State at 10:45 a.m. and Indiana State at 1:00 p.m. on the final day of the UofM Softball Tournament in Memphis on Sunday.
- The Tigers wore the white tops with blue stripes, white pants and blue socks
- Lauren Powell tossed her second shutout in as many weeks
- Sarah Snell has reached base in 11 consecutive games
- Reese Weber's streak of reaching base in straight games has reached seven games