|March 17, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: McKenna Gillespie (1-7)||4.0||4||3||3||3||0|
|Loss: HART (0-2)||4.0||8||10||2||1||1|
|Hannah Trombley (SAM)||3||1||2||1||0||0|
|Kathryn Jackson (SAM)||4||1||2||2||0||0|
|March 17, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||R||H||E|
|Win: WILMES (7-3)||5.0||5||4||4||2||3|
|Loss: WEBER (0-1)||2.0||7||7||4||2||1|
GAME 25: Samford 11, Tennessee State 6
GAME 26: Ball State 14, Tennessee State 4 (5 inn)
RECORDS: TSU (3-23), Samford (6-22), BSU (17-9)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Partly Sunny, 73
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State softball team found themselves in a deep hole in the first inning of both games on day two of the Belmont/TSU Invitational. The Tigers allowed six runs in the opening frame in game one and five in game two. Samford earned an 11-6 win over TSU before Ball State gained a five inning, 14-4, decision.
The Tigers tried to fight back versus Samford cutting the initial lead in half. TSU went on to out hit the Bulldogs, led by Reese Weber’s three hits, but the lead was too much to overcome. Tori Hart and Reese Weber combined to scatter 10 hits and three walks. The duo surrendered just three earned runs as the Tigers committed four errors in the game. Against the Cardinals, the defense allowed six unearned runs on two errors.
The Big Blue was facing a 13-0 deficit in game two before trying to power back into the game. Erica O’Kane opened the fourth with a double and scored as part of a three-run home run by Kasey Clark. The senior’s first career home run cam an inning before Weber left the ball park with a solo shot. Weber hit her second round tripper of the weekend tied her with O’Kane for the team lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- After being held to five hits on Friday, TSU tallied 16 knocks on Saturday.
- The Tigers out hit Samford, 11-10.
- Reese Weber finished the day 4-for-6 with two runs, three RBI and a home run.
- Weber tallied three hits versus Samford and was followed by Sarah Snell and Katie Schneider with two hits.
- Erica O'Kane collected a hit in each game, both of the doubles variety.
- Ariel Johnson collected hits in each game.
- Maddison Clark and Whitney Ennis picked up hits against Samford.
- Snell finished 1-for-3 versus Ball State.
- Kasey Cox went 1-for-2 in the back end of the double dip.
- Cox hit her first collegiate home run.
- Weber hit her second blast of the weekend, the season and her career.
- The Tigers earned seven walks on the day.
- Clark registered two in game two, while O'Kane and Cox notched two each in the opener.
- Snell tallied the other walk for TSU.
- Tori Hart was tagged with the loss in game one and is now 0-2.
- Weber dropped the first decision of her collegiate career and is 0-1 taking the loss in game two.
- The Bulldogs scored six unearned runs off starter Tori Hart in the top of the first inning.
- The Tigers bounced back with three runs in the bottom of the opening frame.
- Sarah Snell led off with a bunt single and moved to second on a Tassy Lyles sacrifice bunt,
- Reese Weber notched the first of her three hits in the game to drive in Snell.
- Maddison Clark pushed in a run across on a hit by pitch after a Katie Schneider single and an Erica O'Kane walk.
- Kasey Cox made the score 6-3 with a four pitch walk to bring home Schneider.
- Samford added a pair of runs in the fourth and fifth to take a 10-3 lead.
- Weber struck again in the fifth with a single to right to chase home Snell.
- The Bulldogs responded with a run in the sixth only to see the Tigers answer in their half of the inning.
- Erica O'Kane led off with a double to left field and was replaced in favor of Kierra Ware.
- Ware scored two batters later on a double to right center by Schneider.
- Weber led off the seventh with her final hit of the game and was replaced by pinch runner Patton Akers.
- Akers scored three batters later off a Maddison Clark single.
vs. BALL STATE
- Reese Weber was touched for seven runs, including five in the first, in her first collegiate start as a pitcher.
- The Cardinals scored in all five innings and held a 13-0 lead heading into the bottom of the fourth.
- Kasey Cox hit her first collegiate dinger with a three-run shot to centerfield.
- The seniors blast was after Erika O'Kane's second double of the day and a Maddison Clark walk.
- Trailing 14-3 in the fifth, Weber hit her second home run in as many days to produce the 14-4 final.
Tennessee State will close out play of the Belmont/TSU Invitational with a rematch from day one with Rhode Island. First pitch is scheduled for Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.
- The Tigers wore their all white uniforms with the blue stirups with horizontal red and white stripes.
- Reese Weber collected the Tigers first three-hit game of the season.
- TSU out hit an opponent for the seventh times this season, the fourth during a loss.