GAME 52: Austin Peay 8, Tennessee State 5
GAME 53: Rained Out (Called in the 3rd Inning)
RECORDS: TSU (4-48, 1-20), APSU (36-15, 17-4)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Sunny, 79 (Rain at 5:04 p.m.)
NASHVILLE --- The 2018 softball season came to an end on Sunday afternoon for Tennessee State as the rains came and halted play in the third inning of game two. The night cap was called due to continuing rain fall and poor field conditions. Austin Peay claimed the win in the opener, 8-5, to drop the Tigers to 4-48 on the season and 1-20 in Ohio Valley Conference play. APSU used the win to claim a second place finish in the OVC.
Reese Weber picked up the first of her two RBI in the game with a double to left center in the first inning, allowing Sarah Snell to score from first to even the score at 1-1. APSU responded with two runs in the second, two in the third and two in the fifth to take a commanding 7-1 lead.
The Tigers answered with a pair of runs in each of the fifth and the sixth innings. Weber drove home Maddison Clark with a sacrifice fly in the fifth, while Snell charged home on a passed ball two pitches later. Back-to-back errors by APSU in the sixth led to an RBI squeeze by Whitney Ennis and a run scoring single by Clark to bring TSU within striking distance.
The Lady Govs scored in the seventh to end the scoring, giving them the 8-5 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sarah Snell, Reese Weber and Maddison Clark registered two hits a piece in game one.
- Ariel Johnson and Kasey Cox each picked up singles in the game.
- Snell earned a walk, scored twice and stole a base.
- Weber in drove runners, while Clark scored and recorded an RBI.
- Cox and Patton Akers scored runs.
- Whitney Ennis brought home a run on a squeeze bunt.
- Tori Hart suffered the loss in game one.
- Trailing 1-0 in the first inning, the Tigers responded with a run of their own to even the score.
- Sarah Snell opened with a single and scored two batters later on a double to left center by Reese Weber.
- APSU regained the lead as they scored two runs in each the second, third and fifth innings to take a 7-1 lead.
- After stranding runners in the third and fourth innings, the Tigers broke through with a pair of runs in the fifth.
- TSU began the frame with consecutive hits by Maddison Clark, Snell and Ariel Johnson.
- A batter later, Weber just missed brining the Tigers within two as she drove a ball to the warning track in centerfield.
- Clark tagged and scored, as Snell and Johnson each advanced 60 feet on the Weber sacrifice fly.
- Snell crossed home plate on a passed ball, cutting the lead to 7-3.
- TSU took advantage of two APSU errors to added two more runs in the sixth.
- Whitney Ennis and Clark each drove in a run to bring the Tigers within two.
- It would be as close as the Tigers would get, as the Govs added a run in the seventh to secure the win.
- Austin Peay scored two runs on a two out rally, taking the early lead.
- Sarah Snell walked to start the bottom of the frame, earning her 31st of the season.
- The base on balls tied her with Caitlin Eaton (2009) for the TSU single season record.
- Snell moved the second on a Reese Weber single and scored on a Katie Schnieder hit.
- APSU scored two runs in the third for a 4-1 lead and had a runner on first with one out when the game was halted.
- All statistics for the game were wiped out due to the contest not reaching the required amount of innings for the game to be official.
The Tigers concluded play for the 2018 season.
- The Tigers wore their all white uniforms with the blue stirups with horizontal red and white stripes
- First pitch of game one was at 1:04 p.m.
- Game one duration was 2:21
- First Pitch of game two was at 3:58 p.m.
- The game has halted at 4:48 p.m. due to rain and Lightning
- Game two was called at 5:18 p.m.
- Sarah Snell finished with 30 walks on the season, with the 31st being eliminated due to the rain out
- The amount places Snell second in the TSU single season record book for base on balls