|April 26, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: LOVELESS (9-12)||7.0||4||0||0||0||1|
|Loss: VOZENILEK (2-2)||1.0||2||2||2||1||0|
|April 26, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|Win: LOVELESS (10-12)||4.1||8||2||1||0||0|
|Loss: INGLES (5-11)||5.0||5||2||2||2||4|
GAME 37: Tennessee State 6, SIUE 0
GAME 38: Tennessee State 6, SIUE 5 (8 inn)
RECORDS: TSU (12-26, 5-13), SIUE (15-22, 7-9)
FIELD: Cougar Field
LOCATION: Edwardsville, Ill.
WEATHER: Sunny, 65
EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. --- The Tennessee State softball team earned a sweep at SIUE on Friday keeping their postseason hopes alive. The Tigers won game one 6-0 and needed eight innings to pick up a 6-5 victory in game two. The sweep was the first for Tennessee State since taking two games at Southeast Missouri on Apr. 6, 2014.
TSU is chasing Tennessee Tech, UT Martin and SIUE for one of the final two spots in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament. The Tigers will need a sweep at Eastern Illinois, currently in 11th place, and a sweep of Morehead State, currently in 12th. The Big Blue is trying to accomplish a feat that they have not achieved since 2001.
The Tigers tallied 21 hits on the day, led by Emma Colegrove and Patton Akers who each recorded four hits over the twin bill. Akers chalked up two hits in each game while Colegrove finished with three hits in game one while picking up a hit and a walk in game two. Reese Weber led the offensive attack in the back end of the double dip going 3-for-5.
Colegrove registered a double in each game, while Bri Vire snagged a two-bagger during the first tilt and Katie Schneider picked up a two-bag knock in the later contest.
Sarah Snell’s lone hit of the day came in the form of the game winner during the eighth inning of the Tigers second win. The clutch performance came with two outs and brought home Jordan Wharton for the eventual game winner.
Raven Loveless earned the win in both games to improve to 10-12. The 10 wins are tied for seventh in a single season at TSU. The mark matches Shannon Hicks during the 2011 campaign and Shea Morris who accomplished the achievement twice in her career (2013. 2014).
- The Tigers put three of the first four batters of the game on base
- With one out, Sarah Snell walked and advanced to second when Reese Weber was hit by a pitch
- Snell and Weber moved up another 60 feet as Katie Schneider reached on an error
- Emma Colegrove recorded the first hit of the day for TSU with a hard shot off the pitcher allowing Snell to score
- Savanah Wallace followed with a single to right to plate Weber giving the Big Blue a 2-0 advantage
- Raven Loveless surrendered a double to the leadoff hitter in the first inning before retiring seven straight batters
- After allowing a one out single in the third, Loveless remained in control of the game by sitting down 14 of the next 16 batters
- In the fifth, Snell earned her second walk of the game and proceeded to steal second base
- With two outs, the Tigers registered four consecutive singles to scratch three runs
- Colegrove started the rally with a single to left to bring home Snell
- Wallace followed with a single to center to bring home Colegrove and scored a batter later off a single by Patton Akers
- The Tigers added another run in the seventh, as Colegrove notched her third hit of the game, a double to centerfield
- Kierra Ware entered as a pinch runner and scored two batters later on a wild pitch
- TSU started fast with three runs in the first inning
- After leading off the game with a walk, Bri Vire scored on a double by Katie Schneider
- Emma Colegrove followed with a double down the third base line to drive in Reese Weber and Schneider
- SIUE would get one run back in the bottom of the frame off Raven Loveless, who started her second consecutive game after needing just 69 pitches to win the opener
- The two teams traded runs in the second inning, making the score 4-2
- Lauren Farias legged out a bunt single to open the second, but was replaced by Jordan Wharton after suffering an injury on the hit
- Wharton scored three batters later on Weber’s second of three hits in the contest
- The Cougars evened the score at 4-4 with a pair of runs in the fifth of relief pitcher, Jessina Espinoza
- The freshman hurler allowed the two runs off three hits in two innings of work
- TSU wasted no time to answer, Colegrove walked to lead off the sixth and was pinch ran for by Kierra Ware
- The senior speedster stole second and third before scoring on a Patton Akers single just over the outstretched glove off the drawn-in infield
- Megan Hupp entered in the circle in the sixth and held SIUE until two outs in the seventh
- Loveless replaced Huppee, but the Cougars rallied against the first-year pitcher to push a run across to force extra innings
- Again, the Tigers responded right away as Wharton opened with a single to right and moved into scoring position on a ground out by Vire
- Sarah Snell delivered the deciding blow with a single up the middle to chase home Wharton
- Loveless retired the Cougars in order to earn her second win of the day and improved to 10-12 on the season
Up Next: The Tigers close out their final regular season road trip in Charleston, Ill. with a double header against Eastern Illinois on Sunday, Apr. 28.