GAME 3: Tennessee State 4, Alcorn State 1
GAME 4: North Alabama 3, Tennessee State 2 (8 innings)
RECORDS: TSU (1-3), UNA (4-0), ASU (1-2)
FIELD: Hillary B. Anderson Softball Stadium
LOCATION: Florence, Ala.
WEATHER: Mostly Sunny, 55
FLORENCE, Ala. --- The Tennessee State softball team earned a split on the final day of the UNA Softball Invitational. The Tigers charged back in both contests, pulling out the opener 4-1 against Alcorn State before dropping a tough 3-2 decision to North Alabama.
Trailing 1-0 in the fourth inning to ASU, Analeigh Coursey made her first collegiate hit count with an RBI single to plate Katie Schneider to tie the game. The Tigers took the lead for good an inning later with three runs. TSU took advantage of an ASU error to take a 2-1 lead on a single by Schneider to plate Patton Akers. Savanah Wallace added a two-run home run a batter later to produce the 4-1 final.
In game two, UNA scored a run in each of the first two innings off Lauren Powell for the early 2-0 lead. Powell settled in and shut down the Lions for the next five innings allowing Sarah Snell to even the game in the fourth inning with a two-run double. The Tigers tried to gain the lead an inning later as Lauren Farias ripped a double to the wall in right center. The Lions defense stood tall as they cut down Beckey Melton trying to score all the way from first base.
UNA pushed a run across in the bottom of eighth inning, tagging Powell with the loss despite striking out eight batters for the second consecutive game.
Raven Loveless earned the win in the opener after tossing the final four innings of the game. Loveless improved to 1-1 after spelling Abbey Woodall who worked the first three innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nine Tigers registered hits on the day.
- Beckey Melton, Patton Akers, Sarah Snell and Savanah Wallace all picked up two knocks.
- Savanah Wallace hit her first home run of the season, second of her career.
- Snell and Lauren Farias each recorded a double.
- Snell and Wallace drove in a pair of runs, while Analeigh Coursey and Katie Schneider drove in one.
- Akers and Schneider crossed home plate twice on the day.
- Wallace and Marisa Mauroschadt each scored.
- Akers and Ariel Johnson stole their first base of the season.
- Raven Loveless was credited with a win during a four inning relief appearance in the opener versus Alcorn State.
- Loveless allowed just two hits and struck out one.
- Abbey Woodall started the first game and went three innings and was touched for one run on four hits.
- Lauren Powell suffered the loss in an eight inning contest, allowing three runs, two earned, on six hits.
- Powell struck out eight and walked two.
- The Tigers left 17 runners on base, 10 in game two.
- TSU had runners on base in 14 of the 15 innings played.
TENNESSEE STATE 4, ALCORN STATE 1
- The Tigers would put runners on in each of the first three innings, but were unable to push runs across.
- ASU scored a run on two hits in the bottom of the first inning against starter Abbey Woodall.
- Woodall would hold the Braves scoreless over the next two innings.
- Katie Schneider reached on a one out walk in the top of the fourth.
- After Beckey Melton delivered a two-out single, Analeigh Coursey drove in Schneider with a single to left to even the score at 1-1.
- Raven Loveless entered in the bottom half of the frame and sat the Braves down in order.
- The Tigers would take advantage of an ASU error in the top half of the fifth with an RBI single by Schneider to plate Patton Akers, taking a 2-1 lead.
- Savanah Wallace followed with a two-run bomb to the deck in left field to extend the lead to 4-1.
- Loveless would make the lead last as she held ASU scoreless over the last four innings.
- Loveless earned the win to improve to 1-1.
NORTH ALABAMA 3, TENNESSEE STATE 2 (8 Inning)
- UNA touched starter Lauren Powell for a run in each of the first two innings.
- Powell settled in to hold the Lions scoreless for the next five innings where she tallied seven of her eight strikeouts.
- The Tigers answered Powell’s performance with a pair of runs in the fourth.
- Marisa Mauroschadt reached on a one out walk and moved to third on a two out single to right by Akers.
- Sarah Snell delivered the big blow with a double to right center to plate Mauroschadt and chase home Akers all the way from first.
- The Tigers threatened to take the lead in the fifth as Lauren Farias ripped a two out double to right center.
- Melton tried to score from first, but was cut down at the plate to end the Tigers threat.
- UNA closed out the game in the bottom of the eighth inning on a ground ball out that pushed home the winning run.
- Powell fell to 0-2 after a courageous performance.
The Tigers travel to Starkville to play in the Bulldog Kickoff Classic from Friday, Feb. 14 through Sunday, Feb. 16. TSU opens play against North Alabama followed by games with Tulsa and Mississippi State.
- The Tigers wore their White jerseys with blue pants and white socks.
- Savanah Wallace registered the first home run of the season with a fifth inning, two-run shot against Alcorn State.
- Sarah Snell collected the first double of the season for the Tigers in the fourth inning versus North Alabama.
- Raven Loveless earned a win against ASU and moved into a tie for sixth on the TSU Career Win list.
- Loveless tied Tarah Evansko who pitched for the Tigers from 2002-05.
- Katie Schneider made 22 putouts on the day to increase her career total to 584.
- Schneider moved past Erin Finneran (2006-07) and into fourth on the TSU career Put Outs list.
- Analeigh Coursey delivered an RBI single as she earned her first collegiate hit.
- Jordan Turner registered her first career knock during a pinch hit at bat.