NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State volleyball head coach Donika Sutton announced the signing of four new Tigers to the 2018-19 volleyball program. Gina Lee Rivera Ortiz, Aria Holmes, Laken Te'o and JoJo Kruize signed a National Letter of Intent Wednesday evening.
In her second recruiting class, Sutton has brought in a libero, a setter, middle blocker and a six-rotation outside hitter.
Gina Lee Rivera Ortiz | 5-6 | Libero | Incoming Freshman | Mayaguez, Puerto Rico | San Benito High School
"I’m excited about Gina," said head coach Donika Sutton. "I feel like she fits in line with what we are looking for in our next libero. She’s very aggressive offensively, she’s consistent on serve receive and she has a wealth of experience. We’re excited to have her here."
- Member of the 2014 Puerto Rican Junior National Team
- Led high school to victory at the Puerto Rico National Volleyball Championship
- Named to All-Star Team
- Played club for Vaqueras of Bayamon, who won both the AAU Power League Super Regional Girls Tournament and the Jeep Volleyball Championship
- Named to All-Star Team at the Jeep Volleyball Championship
- Played at the 44th AAU Girls' Junior National Volleyball Championships 2017 in Orlando, Florida
- Member of the National Honor Society of Colegio San Benito and has maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout secondary school
Aria Holmes | 6-2 | Middle/Outside Hitter | Incoming Freshman | Las Vegas, Nevada | Sierra Vista High School
“With Aria’s ability to explode quickly to the ball, her blocking ability – she’s touching over 10-3, 10-4," said Sutton. "She’s going to be a huge offensive force for us. She can play anywhere across the net. For her to be a freshman, her ceiling is so high, so we’re just ready to get her here and get working.”
- Ranked 26 in the state of Nevada her junior year
- High school team ranked 25 in the state of Nevada leading her team to record of 18-16, 7-6 in the league as a senior
- Posted 192 kills on a .367 hitting percentage, 68 blocks and 17 serving aces as a junior
Laken Te'o | 5-8 | Setter | JUCO Transfer | Laie, Hawaii | Salt Lake Community College
“Laken Te’o is a JUCO transfer coming out of Salt Lake City. This kid has what we need. She’s dynamic on defense, she definitely has a high release, she shoots the ball to the pins and gets middles involved. I think she is going to work well with our offense, and she says she’s ready to get here and get loud, so we’re excited to having her committed.”
- Led the SLCC Bruins to a 21-6, 8-2 league record, tying for conference lead
- Recorded 559 assists, 184 digs, 22 aces, and 13 kills in 93 sets this past season
- Attened Kahuku High School and was ranked 25 by MaxPreps for the state of Hawaii
Johanna "JoJo" Kruize | 5-10 | Outside Hitter | JUCO Transfer | Honolulu, Hawaii | College of Southern Idaho
"JoJo Kruize is going to bring a great balance to our front row, as well as or back row. She’s an outside/libero, and can switch jerseys whenever we need her to. She’s very precise and consistent with her offense and attacking the ball. She also brings a lot of leadership and experience coming from her team being runner-up at JUCO Nationals. We need that type of leadership and experience with four seniors going out, and we welcome her."
- Averaged 2.24 kills per game, 2.95 digs per game and led her team with 41 service aces.
- Named NJCAA Academic All-American
- Awarded Region 18 Honorable Mention
- Helped CSI to a 31-4 overall record this past season
- Recorded sesason highs of 21 digs, 14 kills and 5 aces as a sophomore
- Atteneded Moanalua High School