|August 31, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
BENITEZ - 1
ELLIS - 1
RIVERA ORTIZ - 16
RUBLE - 2
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State volleyball team dropped its first match at the Chattanooga Classic to North Alabama 3-2 (22-25, 25-23, 16-25, 25-22, 15-10).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The team combined for 15 blocks, the most since October 2015 against Morehead State. Utah-native Hinalei Fihaki registered the team-high and career-high in blocks with 10.
- Three Tigers recorded double-doubles. Laken Te’o recorded her fourth of the season with a season-best 40 assists and 12 digs. Rachel Henderson recorded her second double-double of the season with 14 kills, 16 digs. Julia Pierson recorded her first of the season with 11 kills and 14 digs.
- Henderson posted her 100th block as a Tiger in set two.
SET BY SET
First Set: The Tigers set the tone for the match in the first two points. Khalia Jordan made a kill down the line. The Lions were the first to ten, with a two-point lead. Tigers called a timeout. The first point after the timeout huddle, Henderson put a roll to the right side for a TSU point. Henderson posted five kills. Combined with three Tiger blocks within the last quarter of the match and a Fihaki ace for set point, theTigers won set one 25-22.
Second Set: TSU began the set up 5-2 thanks to kills by Pierson and Jordan. Te’o dumped one to the middle of the court to end a Lion three-point run. The remainder of the set was point-for-point. Team hit for a .212. Four team blocks, Fihaki assisting in two. Tied at 23, a UNA kill followed by a Tiger error allowed the Lions to take set two, 25-23.
Third Set: Block errors helped the Lions go up by two at the beginning of the set. The rest of the first half of the set was point-for-point, Tigers tying it at nine. Aria Holmes came in and record five kills and assisted in two blocks to help put the Tigers over the top. The Tigers hit for a match best .269, posted five blocks and three service aces to easily take set three, 25-16.
Fourth Set: The longest and most physical set consisted of 111 attacks and 59 digs. Jordan led the Tigers with four kills, while Henderson held down the backcourt with eight digs. 15 tied scores, but only two lead changes resulted in the Lions winning the set, 25-22.
Fifth Set: Big Blue began the set with a huge block from Henderson and Fihaki – marking Fihaki’s 10th block of the match. Three back-to-back service errors brought Micahlea Njie to the service line where she served her first ace as a Tiger. Henderson came through with the two Tiger kills of the set before UNA went on a six-point run, putting them up 11-8. The Lions came up with two kills and a number of Tiger errors ended the match with the Lions on top.
- In its first meeting with the Lions, the Tigers are now 0-1 in the series.
- The team combined for 15 blocks, the most since October 2015 against Morehead State.
- TSU is 1-3 on the season.
- Rachel Henderson posted her 100th block as a Tiger.
Big Blue continues play at the Chattanooga Classic, Saturday, Sept. 1 against host Chattanooga at 12:30 p.m. EST, followed by UNC-Asheville at 4:30 p.m.