|September 06, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
Jones - 14
Harris - 2
Lynn - 2
|September 06, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
Rivera Ortiz - 9
Caliste - 1
MOBILE, Ala. --- The Tigers took on the Jaguars of South Alabama and the Delta Devils of Mississippi Valley State in the Jaguar Invitational on Sept. 6. Falling to South Alabama in five sets (25-14, 22-25, 25-14, 14-25, 15-10) the Tigers are 2-3 going into the match agianst Mississippi Valley State. Winning 3-0 in the match agaisnt MVSU (25-18, 25-12, 25-14) Big Blue is now 3-3.
South Alabama 3, Tennessee State 2 - Box Score
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Khalia Jordan lead the Tigers in kills with ten, Aniya Williams followed closley behind with eight.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz added 19 more digs to her career record, making it 624.
- Julia Pierson had the match high of three aces against South Alabama.
- The Tigers fell behind on the board due to kills and an ace for the Jgauars.
- Kills for Aria Holmes and Jasmine Fuqua got the Tigers back into the set.
- With bad sets and errors on the Tigers, USA recorded a five-point lead.
- A kill from Julia Pierson brought the Tigers back into the game.
- Iva Durdanovic with a kill pulled South Alabama further up on the board, making it hard for the Tigers to catch up.
- Fighting hard, Kristian Marshall recorded a kill and USA received an attack error.
- With a ten-point lead, a bad set on Pierson gave USA set one, 14-25.
- Khalia Jordan with her third kill of the match and two aces from Julia Pierson put TSU at a three-point lead.
- Two more kills from Kariely Santana-Delgado and Aria Holmes kept that three-point lead.
- A kill from USA's Meagan Jones and an attack error on Pierson brought it close but with her second kill of the game, Aniya Willams pulled the Tigers ahead.
- Kelley Hartman scored with her sixth kill of the match but Jordan kept the Tigers on top with two kills in a row.
- Kiara Hill's first kill of the match and an ace for Teuila Lolotai secured the lead for the Tigers.
- Aniya Williams with her third kill of the match wins the second set for TSU, 25-22.
- Pierson and Jordan with kills put up a two-point lead for Big Blue.
- Three kills from the Jaguars made it difficult for the Tigers to get back into the set.
- Two kills from Hartman and the offense of South Alabama proved to be a huge challenge for the Tigers.
- Jordan tried to keep the Tigers in the set but more kills from the Jaguars offense put up a nine-point lead.
- A kill for Jones won set three for the Jaguars, 14-25.
- Kariely Santana-Delgado with her second kill of the match put the Tigers on the board first.
- Williams with her fifth kill of the game and a block assist from Pierson and Kendall Bullock helped the Tigers gain a lead.
- Jordan with another kill kept the lead for the Tigers even with USA kills from Hannah Harris.
- Offenisely strong, Williams added another kill to her record.
- Holmes and Pierson block an attempt from South Alabama, not allowing the Jaguars to succeed in scoring.
- Teulia Lolotai with a kill made it match point and an attack error on Jones for USA won the set for TSU, 25-14
- Kills for Williams and Pierson gave the Tigers an advantage.
- But USA came back with kills fom Harris and Hartman, taking the lead.
- Notching another kill for Williams and Santana-Delgado, the Tigers climbed back into the set.
- Hartman was carrying the Jaguars offense with 14th kills this match.
- Jaguars took the match with a kill from Harris, her tenth of the match, 10-15.
- Losing this match makes TSU's record against South Alabama 0-3.
- The Tiger's are now 1-1 in matches going 5 sets.
Tennessee State 3, Mississippi Valley 0 - Box Score
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Aria Holmes recorded six kills during this match, with Pierson and Williams right behind with five.
- Pierson and Rivera-Ortiz tied for nine digs each.
- A quick volley of points tied the game at three, with a kill from Holmes and an ace from Jordan, the Tigers took the lead.
- Three attack errors and Sofia Garcia-Guerrios's first ace of the day gives the Tigers a huge lead.
- Eigth points later, Garcia-Guerrios was still behind the line when a kill from MVSU ended her run.
- Scoring her first kill of the day, Kendall Bullock kept the pressure on MVSU.
- Tyler Caliste with two kills brought MVSU back into the set.
- Kill for Holmes gaave the Tigers a five-point lead.
- A bad set on MVSU gave the first set to TSU, 25-18.
- Tylia Dixon and Caliste racked up some points with kills for MVSU, only to recieve an error to tie the game.
- Errors on MVSU gave TSU a leg up and the lead.
- Pierson and Williams notched another kill for today.
- Kills for Holmes and Fuqua, with Pierson's second ace of the match put TSU at a ten-point lead.
- Attack error on Mississippi Valley State won the set for Big Blue, 25-12.
- Two kills for Mississippi Valley State gave the Delta Devils an early lead.
- Fuqua with her second kill of the match put the Tigers ahead on the board.
- A good volley between the teams, tied them at five.
- But, a kill from Bullock and Fuqua pulled the Tigers ahead, challenging the Delta Devils defense.
- Santana-Delgado with a kill gave the Tigers a five-point lead.
- Big Blue found holes in the Delta Devils defense and used that to it's advantage.
- Jaziah Anderson tried to keep MVSU in the game with a kill but Fuqua won the set, 25-14, with her sixth kill of the day.
- Tennessee State's overall record is now 3-3.
- TSU's record against MVSU is 3-1.
Tennessee State Tigers will compete against Northwestern State for it's last match in the Jaguar Invitational. The match will take place Sept. 7 at 11:30 in the Jag Gym.