|October 11, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
RIVERA ORTIZ - 1
MARSHALL - 1
CARMICHAEL - 11
- 3||Blocks||SANTANA RODRIGUEZ
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- Tennessee State volleyball fell to the Gamecocks this evening on Oct. 11 in Kean Hall. The match went three sets and the Tigers lost 3-0 (25-19, 25-15, 26-24).
During the first and second sets the Gamecocks found strengths within it's team and the weaknesses in Big Blue. JSU put up 14 kills in the first set, 11 in the second and 20 in the third. While the Tigets tried to stay strong and fight back, it only put up a total of 16 kills in the first two sets. But in the third set, TSU came out hungry and notched 14 kills and two service aces.
Even with a tough fight in the third for Tennessee State, Jacksonville State won the match with a kill from its own Kaylee Frear. Making TSU's overall record 9-9 and it's Ohio Valley Conference record 2-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Khalia Jordan led the Tiger's offense with eight kills with Julia Pierson following closely with seven.
- Teuila Lolotai assisted the team 13 times while Kristian Marshall assisted 11 times.
- Pierson stepped up her defensive game this match, leading TSU with 13 digs.
- Two kills for JSU started out the set but Tennessee State got back into the match with two JSU attack errors.
- Aria Holmes tied up the match with a shot into the Gamecock's defense.
- Jacksonville State pulled ahead on a eight-point run, filled with kills for Lena Kindermann and Sadie Anderson.
- Jordan with her second kill of the match stopped JSU’s run and Pierson notched her first of the night next.
- JSU was holding on to it’s six-point lead until Jasmine Fuqua shot into the defense with her first kill.
- Kendall Bullock, Pierson and Fuqua each tried to keep the Tigers in the set but JSU scored game point with a kill from Kindermann.
- A service error on Jordan gave the first set to JSU, 25-19.
- A few errors on TSU and kills for Jacksonville State gave the Gamecocks an early lead.
- Anderson is proving to be a powerhouse for JSU with two kills in the first ten point of the set.
- A service ace from Gina Rivera-Ortiz gave the Tigers momentum to get back into the game but Kindermann squashed that advancement with a kill for JSU.
- Bullock brought Big Blue to double digits with a kill and an attack error on JSU gave TSU a chance.
- With points going back and forth over the net, the Tigers tried to tie the set up.
- But, two errors on TSU and a kill for Anderson, Jacksonville State took game point.
- A hitting error on Tennessee State gave JSU the match, 25-15.
- Jacksonville State came out and gained the lead early but TSU quickly tied it up and took the lead with two back to back kills from Jordan.
- A kill for Kindermann and an attack error on Tennessee State gave the Gamecocks the set back.
- Jacksonville State went on a three-point run only to be ended with a kill from Holmes.
- A huge block assist for Holmes and Bullock brought the Tigers some motivation to fight the Gamecocks.
- Holmes notched another kill and a JSU ball handling error tied the set.
- Tennessee State took back the lead with a attack error on JSU, who tied it back with a kill from Anderson.
- A TSU service error, a ball handling error and a kill from Anderson gave Jacksonville State the lead back.
- The Tigers fought hard to stay in the set with kills from Pierson and Jordan.
- Match point happened for Jacksonville State with a kill from Lexie Libs, but an attack error on JSU tied the set.
- Kaylee Frear won the match for JSU with her seventh kill of the match, 26-24.
- Tennessee State's overal record is now 9-9 and 2-3 in the OVC.
- Against Jacksonville State the Tigers are now 10-24.
Tennessee State volleyball will host Tennessee Tech on Oct. 12 at 5 p.m. in Kean Hall.