WBB drops road contest to Morehead State
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Morehead, Ky. --- After leading at the break, Tennessee State only scored 18 second-half points on the way to a 61-47 loss to Morehead State Monday night in Johnson Arena.

For the second straight game, Tennessee State saw the game slip away late in the final moments after battling for most of the contest.

Tennessee State (4-9, 1-3 OVC) shot 29 percent from the field (18-of-62) and a dismal 9.1 percent (1-of-11) from three-point range. Morehead State (11-5, 4-0 OVC) shot 36.2 percent from the field and 36.4 percent from beyond the arc.

Oby Okafor led TSU with 12 points and nine rebounds while MSU had three players to post double-digits. Tiffany Hamilton led with 16 while Ashar Harris and Chynna Bozeman added 14 and 10 respectively.

Morehead State led 12-8 at the first media timeout and increased its advantage to 15-10 at the 12:40 mark of the first half. TSU battled back though using a 6-0 run capped by a break-away lay-up from Nikki Rumph to capture the lead. The Lady Tigers extended the advantage to 24-19 before the Eagles came back to tie the score 24-24.

The final four minutes were closely contested and TSU went into the halftime break with a slight 29-28 lead.

Buckets from LaDona Pierce and Rumph made the score 37-33 in favor of TSU early in the second half but MSU knotted the score three minutes later.

With TSU holding on to a 40-39 lead, MSU scored posted 10 unanswered points to move ahead 49-40. Over the next two minutes, the Eagles outscored the Lady Tigers 7-3 to grab its largest lead of the game, 56-43 (5:04).

TSU's comeback attempt was unsuccessful as the Lady Tigers struggled to score in the final five minutes of play. The Lady Tigers only posted four points during that time.

TSU's struggles from the free-throw line continued, finishing with a 52.6 percentage (10-of-19) from the charity stripe. 

The Lady Tigers will return to the Gentry Center to host Murray State on Thursday, Jan. 7. Game time is slated for 7 p.m.