Lady Tigers Beat Lipscomb in Overtime Thriller
Sunday, November 29, 2009

Nashville --- The Tennessee State University women's basketball team came back from a 14-point second half deficit in a 72-69 overtime win against Lipscomb Saturday night in the Gentry Center.

Despite missing eight free-throws in the overtime period, Tennessee State (2-3) was able to hold off Lipscomb (2-5) and win its second straight.

Senior Obiageli Okafor led TSU with 26 points and nine rebounds while freshman Simone Hopes tallied 10 points and eight boards. Senior LaDona Pierce handed out a game best seven assists for TSU.

Lipscomb was led in scoring by Valerie Bronson (13) and Morgan Faulkner (10).

For the game, Tennessee State shot 41.9 percent from the field, connecting on 26-of-62 shots, while Lipscomb shot 33.3 percent (19-of-57). TSU won the battle of the boards 48-37 but LU held the advantage in steals 13-6. TSU committed 25 turnovers compared to Lipscomb's 18 and neither team shot particularly well from the free-throw line. The Lady Tigers were 16-of-30 (53 percent) from the charity stripe while the Lady Bisons shot 59 percent (22-of-37) from the line.

Five turnovers within the first two minutes of play led to TSU falling behind 6-0 in the first half. TSU finally got on the board when a 3-pointer by Jasmine Smith sparked a rally that would give the Lady Tigers a 7-6 lead.

A few possessions later, with the score tied 13-13, Lipscomb outscored Tennessee State 12-6 to go ahead 25-19 with 5:44 left in the half. TSU used an 8-2 run, that included two triples from Denisha Mumford and a jumper by Nikki Rumph, to knot the game 27-27.

Lipscomb led 31-30 lead at the break. 

The beginning of the second half highlighted a number of empty possessions for TSU. Meanwhile, Lipscomb connected on three triples to extend the lead to 40-32 before the first media timeout.

With six minutes ticked off the clock another three-pointer gave Lipscomb a 13-point advantage (47-34). The Lady Bisons increased the advantage to 52-38 at the 12:26 mark and maintained a double-digit lead for the next four minutes.

At the 8:28 mark, a three-point bomb from Kesi Hess sparked a 10-1 run that brought TSU to within two (57-55). Lipscomb built its lead back up to six (62-56) with 3:17 left in regulation but TSU scored six unanswered points in the final two minutes to send the game to overtime.

In the extra frame, with TSU holding on to a 70-69 lead and with one second left on the clock, LaDona Pierce knocked down two free-throws to ice the game.

The Lady Tigers will return to action next Thursday when they host the Panthers of Eastern Illinois in OVC action.