|November 27, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TROYWBB||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.424 (39-92)||.345 (19-55)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (8-24)||.182 (2-11)|
|FT Percentage||.643 (9-14)||.703 (26-37)|
TEAM - 12
Gibson - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State – 66 Troy - 95
Records: TSU (0-4) Troy (3-1)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a, 95-66, decision to Troy Monday night in the Gentry Center.
TSU fell to 0-4 on the season while Troy improved to 3-1.
Tia Wooten led TSU with 20 points while Taylor Roberts posted her second consecutive double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds. Maxine Beard tallied a career-high 11 points to go with four assists and four steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 8-0, TSU used a 5-0 spurt to get back into the game. TSU was down by two when the Trojans outscored the Lady Tigers, 11-4, to capture a double-digit lead.
- After cutting the deficit down to single digits following a steal and breakaway layup to start the second quarter, TSU once again fell behind by double-figures.
- The score was 52-38 in favor of Troy at the break.
- Taylor Roberts (12) and Tia Wooten (10) led TSU in the first half.
- In the third quarter, a series of turnovers by TSU led to the home team falling into a 62-42 hole.
- TSU managed to pull within 15 points but the deficit proved to be too much to overcome.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leader – Points: Tia Wooten- 20
- TSU Leader – Rebounds: Taylor Roberts - 12
- TSU Leader – Assists: Maxine Beard - 4
- TSU Leader – Steals: Maxine Beard – 4
- TSU had 48 turnovers in the contest whileTroy scored 56 points off the miscues.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“I think number one, we were prepared for this game. I know the final stat probably doesn’t look like that, but we were prepared. Some of the positive things – you’re always going to hear me say the positive at the end of the day because you know what, it’s hard for kids to walk around 0-4. They hear it every day. We had three players in double digits. Finally Maxine Beard, she can score the ball when she needs to and wants to. However the turnover category, that’s probably the first time I’ve seen a turnover stat that high, so that’s obviously something we need to work on. Defensively, what Troy did is, they’re a will and want team. They know this is what we do. They get after it and we didn’t handle the pressure well.”
- Thoughts on the game
“The kid (Taylor Roberts) is hard to stop. At the end of the day, we’re lucky to have her. She gets problems because she plays 1 through 5 at some point. Tia Wooten is consistently stepping up for us. People are asking me what Tia did, but she just bought in. At the end of the day, she just bought in. She’s a leader in this program. Maxine Beard is a leader as well. Someone that is playing valuable minutes for us is Taylor Williams. I know it doesn’t necessarily show on the stat line with one total point, but that kid takes a bruising. She earned a starting role, and that’s why she’s in it.”
- On today’s standouts
“We’re going into tough preseason opponents with Arkansas State and Louisville. We’re going to have to work on [turnovers]. As far as conference play goes, you can have it one of two ways - you can have a fluff preseason and be shocked in conference play, or have a tough preseason schedule which is what we have, and be ready and have gone through every scenario. So we’re going to be battle tested - that’s one of our mottos this year, #TTP, we’re trusting the process.”
- On facing a pressing team like Troy
- Lady Tigers are now 1-2 versus Troy
- Freshman Taylor Roberts recorded her second consecutive double-double with 18 points and 12 boards
- Roberts opened her career 21-for-21 at the free throw line, before a miss; now 22-for-23
- Maxine Beard scored a new career high with 11 points
- Double Digit Scorers
Taylor Roberts (18) in all four games to begin her career
Tia Wooten (20) fourth consecutive game, 26th of her career
Maxine Beard (11) first game this season, third of her career
- Tennessee State shot 50-percent (5-of-10) in the first quarter
- Tennessee State will hit the road to face Arkansas State on Nov. 30. Game time is set for 7 p.m. in the ASU Convocation Center.