|January 13, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||SIUE|
|FG Percentage||.317 (20-63)||.488 (20-41)|
|3P FG Percentage||.190 (4-21)||.500 (6-12)|
|FT Percentage||.905 (19-21)||.824 (28-34)|
WILLIAMS - 13
BEARD - 13
Final Score: Tennessee State 63 – SIU Edwardsville 74
Records: TSU (3-12, 1-5 OVC) – SIUE (7-9, 4-1 OVC)
Venue: Vadalabene Center
Location: Edwardsville, Ill.
Edwardsville, Ill. --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team could not overcome a slow start in a, 74-63, loss to SIU Edwardsville Saturday afternoon in the Vadalabene Center.
After getting outscored 24-9 in the opening period, TSU (3-12, 1-5 OVC) outscored SIUE (8-9, 5-1 OVC) 54-50 in the last three quarters.
Four Lady Tigers scored in double-digits against the Cougars. Maxine Beard, Taylor Roberts and Taylor Williams each tallied 13 points while Tia Wooten finished with12 points and 10 rebounds for her fifth double-double of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Beard, Roberts Williams – 13
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten - 10
- Assists: Maxine Beard - 4
- Steals: Maxine Beard – 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU only connected on one of its first shot attempts and fell behind 14-3 early.
- The Lady Tigers trailed 24-9 at the end of opening frame.
- In the second period, an old fashioned three-point play from Taylor Roberts made the score, 30-16, in favor of the home team.
- TSU continued to fight and cut the deficit down to 34-24 with one minute remaining.
- SIUE began the third stanza with nine unanswered points to extend the advantage to 43-27.
- Kaliya Griffin made a three-pointer to get the Lady Tigers on the board with two and half minutes ticked off the clock.
- TSU pulled to within 13 points on a triple from Taylor Williams but a 5-0 spurt from SIUE made the score, 48-30, with 2:51 left in the quarter.
- The Lady Tigers closed the gap to just 12 points in the fourth before cutting it down to single digits (60-51) with 2:50 remaining.
- The Lady Tigers continued to fight but were not able to overcome the deficit.
- TSU had 17 turnovers in the game.
- The Lady Tigers scored 13 points off turnovers and 24 in the paint.
- TSU trailed by as many as 19 points.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“I think we fought extremely well. Nice to see us fight in the fourth quarter. Four players in double-digits, I’m very excited about that. I’m really happy for Maxine Beard. She is leading us in minutes. She needed a night (like tonight) to help her confidence. And it was great to see her take control of the game tonight.”
- Thoughts on the game
“The downside about having a losing record, the unfortunate part is you don’t always start with a bode of confidence. We do our best as a staff to make sure that they start games well. So again we’re going to go back to the film and we need to learn to be the aggressor from the beginning. We’ve got to learn to come out with more energy. Eventually we’ll put all four quarters together but I’m hoping we’ll do that when we go home.”
- On getting off to a better start
- TSU returns to action on Thursday, Jan. 18 at home versus Austin Peay. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in the Gentry Center.