|February 03, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Eastern Kentucky University
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||EKU|
|FG Percentage||.327 (17-52)||.365 (23-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.273 (3-11)||.267 (4-15)|
|FT Percentage||.759 (22-29)||.667 (8-12)|
WILLIAMS - 2
WOOD - 1
RICHARDSON - 1
PIERCE - 1
SOLOMON - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 59 – Eastern Kentucky 58
Records: TSU (5-16, 3-9 OVC) – EKU (7-14, 4-8 OVC)
Venue: McBrayer Arena
Location: Richmond, Ky.
Richmond, Ky. --- In a game that went down to the wire, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team pulled off a thrilling victory over Eastern Kentucky, 59-58, Saturday night in McBrayer Arena.
With Tennessee State trailing, 58-57, Freshman Taylor Roberts stepped up to make two crucial free-throws to give the Lady Tigers a, 59-58, advantage with 6.1 seconds left. The Lady Tigers came up with a big stop on the other end to seal the win.
TSU improved to 5-16 (3-9 OVC) while EKU fell to 7-14 (4-8 OVC).
Roberts paced the Lady Tiger offense with 19 points to go with six rebounds while Tia Wooten added 14. Jaden Wrightsell pulled down a team-high 10 rebounds while Maxine Beard dished out five assists.
EKU was led by A’Queen Hayes’ 18 points and 14 rebounds while Abby Wright chipped in 12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 19
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell - 10
- Assists: Maxine Beard – 5
- Steals: Tia Wooten and Taylor Williams - 2
- TSU shot 75.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- The game had 13 ties and 14 lead changes.
- Tia Wooten tallied 14 points in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a closely contested first quarter, TSU had a slight, 16-15, lead heading into the second stanza.
- Both teams only managed to score eight points in the second period and the score was, 24-23, in favor of TSU at the half.
- The teams played to a 32-32, tie just after the media timeout.
- The Colonels created a little distance after an 8-0 run put them on top, 40-32.
- Two free-throws by Jaden Wrightsell ended TSU’s scoring drought but TSU trailed, 42-36, heading into the final stanza.
- The Lady Tigers were outscored, 19-12, in the third.
- TSU mounted a comeback in the fourth and used an 11-2 run to pull even then capture a 47-45 lead.
- The teams battled from that point.
- TSU was down, 58-54, when a three-point play by Taylor Roberts pulled the Lady Tigers to within one, 58-57, with 30.4 seconds remaining.
- On EKU’s possession, TSU came up with a huge stop to get the back ball with 25 seconds left.
- With 6.4 seconds on the clock, Taylor Roberts was fouled and went to the line to make both.
- TSU was able to get another huge stop on the next trip down the floor to seal the win.
- Tia Wooten scored in double-digits for the 21st consecutive game.
- TSU made 22 free-throws in the contest.
- Taylor Roberts scored in double-figures for the fifth consecutive game and made the game-winning free-throws.
- TSU picked up its first road win of the season.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“I’m so proud of these young ladies…their wherewithal and their composure. Taylor Roberts came through big for us tonight. Tia Wooten came out the game with five fouls with three minutes left on the clock and she (Roberts) put the team on her back. Maxine Beard led like the senior she is supposed to lead. I’m so happy for these young ladies.”
-Overall thoughts on the game
“For us, its one of those mental things. People say it doesn’t bother you but when you don’t have a road win, it sticks in your mind. So we’ve gotten over the hump. It’s the momentum we need going forward. The ladies really, really deserved this one. They fought very hard and I’m so very proud.”
-On getting first road win
- TSU returns to Nashville to host league leader Belmont University on Thursday, Feb. 8. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in the Gentry Center.