|November 23, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||AR||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.371 (23-62)||.270 (17-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.350 (7-20)||.235 (4-17)|
|FT Percentage||.684 (26-38)||.654 (17-26)|
SIMS - 9
SIMS - 3
OUTLOW - 1
WOOTEN - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 55 – Arkansas 79
Records: TSU (0-5) – ARK (3-1)
Venue: Municipal Auditorium
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- Fourth-quarter offensive struggles hampered the Tennessee State women’s basketball team in a, 79-55, loss to Arkansas on the opening day of the Challenge in Music City Basketball Tournament in Municipal Auditorium.
Tennessee State (0-5) trailed 52-48 heading into the final period but the offense went cold and the Lady Tigers were outscored, 27-7, in the fourth.
Taylor Roberts posted a season-high 23 points to lead TSU while Terrysha Banner added 10. Asia Sims and Cebria Outlow each pulled down nine rebounds.
Arkansas had four players to score in double-digits led by Chelsea Dungee.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 23
- Rebounds: Asia Sims and Cebria Outlow- 9
- Assists: – Cebria Outlow and Asia Sims - 3
- Steals: Taylor Roberts - 4
- Terrysha Banner finished the game with 10 points.
- TSU held the advantage in rebounds, 53-41, and pulled down 22 offensive rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tennessee State jumped out to a 5-0 lead but three consecutive turnovers allowed Arkansas to claim a 6-5 advantage.
- TSU trailed, 8-7, at the first media timeout but got outscored 14-5, to fall behind, 22-12.
- In the second quarter, TSU used a 14-7 run to cut the deficit down to three, 29-26.
- After outscoring Arkansas 22-15 in the second period, TSU went into the halftime break trailing, 37-34.
- TSU tied the game at 45-all when Lauren Elliott sank a jumper at the 4:12 mark of the third.
- The Lady Tigers, however, went without a bucket for the next four minutes.
- Tia Wooten connected in the paint to end TSU’s scoring drought but the offensive struggles continued.
- TSU only managed to score seven points in the fourth quarter.
- Taylor Roberts posted a season-high 23 points after being held to single digits in the last game.
- Tia Wooten was held to single digit scoring for the first time this season.
- Arkansas now leads the all-time series 3-0.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“First and foremost I think our kids fought all the way to the end. That’s a really good Arkansas team. But I think we had them on the ropes quite a bit. We contained them in the half court which is good. It was good to see Taylor Roberts come back and show up again because we know that’s exactly what she can do. And then Terrysha Banner shows up again for us which is really big. We played, again, another three quarters and, in time, all these quarters will come together.”
-Overall thoughts on the game
- TSU continues tournament action tomorrow against Wisconsin. Game time is set for 5 p.m. in Municipal Auditorium.