|January 03, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TTUW||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.375 (18-48)||.277 (18-65)|
|3P FG Percentage||.455 (5-11)||.133 (2-15)|
|FT Percentage||.757 (28-37)||.875 (21-24)|
ELLIOT - 14
BUCKNER - 7
CANTRELL - 2
WOOTEN - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State 59 – Tennessee Tech 69
Records: TSU (0-13, 0-1 OVC) – TTU (9-3, 1-0 OVC)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Nashville, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team nearly erased a 21-point deficit but the comeback fell short in a, 69-59, loss to Tennessee Tech Thursday night in the OVC opener.
TSU used a 13-2 run to cut Tech’s lead down to single digits but the Golden Eagles managed to keep the Lady Tigers at bay down the stretch.
Taylor Roberts and Lauren Elliott each tallied 14 points for TSU while Tia Wooten finished with a double-double of 10 points and 13 rebounds.
Tennessee Tech improved to 9-3, 1-0 OVC and was led in scoring by Jordan Brock (14) and Akia Harris (11).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts and Lauren Elliott – 14
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten – 13
- Assists: Tia Wooten - 2
- Steals: Andreana Wrister - 3
- TSU outscored Tennessee Tech 25-16 in the fourth quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was tied 11-11 when Tennessee Tech used a 7-0 run to move ahead 18-11.
- The Lady Tigers trailed 21-13 at the end of the first quarter before going into the locker room down, 37-24.
- The visitors opened the third frame with an 8-2 run to extend their advantage to 45-26.
- TSU fell into a 20-point hole, 52-32, with 2:12 left in the third period.
- The Lady Tigers continued to fight and used an 11-2 rally to cut the deficit down to 10 points with just over seven minutes remaining in the fourth.
- Lauren Elliott capped the 13-2 run with a 15-footer to pull TSU to within eight.
- The score was 57-50 in favor of Tech with 4:26 remaining when the Golden Eagles scored five straight points to go back up by double-digits, 62-52.
- An old fashioned three-point play by Taylor Roberts cut Tech’s lead down to seven again but the opponent hit six straight free-throws to stretch the advantage back up to 68-55.
- TSU answered with four unanswered points to make the score, 68-59, with 36 seconds remaining but that would be as close as the Lady Tigers would get.
- Tia Wooten posted her first double-double of the season
- Taylor Roberts recorded double-digits in scoring for the ninth time this season.
- Tech improved to 56-13 in the all-time series history.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“Welcome to OVC play. We scored 34 points (combined) in the first three quarters and then 25 in the fourth. You saw a line-up in the fourth quarter that we had never seen up to this point and it was encouraging as a coach to know you can go that deep into your bench and they can make things happen. But on the flip side we went into a lull into the third quarter that dug us into a hole that we could not claw our way out of.”
-Overall thoughts on the game
“Lauren Elliott played the entire game, had 14 points and one turnover. That’s exactly what we need out of a senior point guard. Tia Wooten played a very controlled game. She was undersized with the post players they had but made it work for her offensively.”
-On Elliott and Wooten
“I get it. I get it. Its tough when you look at 0-13 but we’re a team that believes and I’m a head coach that believes. And we’re going to put this thing together.”
-On the record and looking forward
- TSU will return to action on Saturday, Jan. 5 with a match-up against Jacksonville State. Game time is set for 3 p.m. in Gentry Center.