|January 12, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||MOR-WBB||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.458 (27-59)||.278 (22-79)|
|3P FG Percentage||.389 (7-18)||.133 (2-15)|
|FT Percentage||.774 (24-31)||.640 (16-25)|
WOOTEN - 2
SIMS - 2
WRIGHTSELL - 1
BANNER - 1
WOOTEN - 1
SIMS - 1
PRIMAS - 1
SIMS - 1
BRONER - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 62 – Morehead State 85
Records: TSU (1-15, 1-3 OVC) – MSU (11-6, 2-1 OVC)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Nashville, Tenn. --- Redshirt senior Tia Wooten scored her 1,000th career point but it was not enough as the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team fell to Morehead State, 85-62, Saturday night in the Gentry Center.
TSU (1-15, 1-3 OVC) struggled offensively and fell behind by as many as 26 points in the contest. Four players reached double-digits in scoring but the Lady Tigers went 22-of-79 from the field and 2-of-15 from three-point range.
Tia Wooten posted her fourth consecutive double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds to lead TSU. She surpassed the 1,000-point milestone in the first half and finished the game with 1,012 career points.
Jaden Wrightsell also notched a double-double, her second straight, with 12 points and 12 boards. Terrysha Banner came off the bench to score 16 points while Jazmine Young added 12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten – 17
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten – 14
- Assists: Wooten, Sims, Banner - 2
- Steals: Wrightsell, Wooten, Young, Sims, Banner - 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With 2:17 remaining in the second quarter, the score was 34-26 in favor of Morehead State.
- The visitors closed out the half by outscoring TSU 11-5 to carry a 45-31 lead into halftime.
- TSU continued to battle and cut the deficit down to 11 but MSU responded with a spurt to stretch the advantage to, 64-44, late in the third quarter.
- TSU trailed, 68-48, heading into the final period.
- TSU was not able to overcome the lead.
- Tia Wooten scored her 1,000th career point. She has a total of 1,012 career points.
- Tia Wooten recorded a double-double for the fourth consecutive game.
- Jaden Wrightsell posted a double-double for the third time this season and second straight game.
- TSU dropped its fourth straight to Morehead State.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“Lack of discipline. That’s my opening thought. We pride this program on being a disciplined woman being a free woman and taking 79 shots clearly shows an overall lack of discipline. It is not fair to a senior, in Tia Wooten, who hit 1,000 points tonight, to take that moment from her this way. Our band-aid got ripped off today and we were exposed. Hats off to Morehead State. They’re a very disciplined team. They put together some really good pieces to make a good run this year and I think they’ll do extremely well. But for us, that locker-room was about soul searching and I’m extremely disappointed at our decorum today in the game. That is not what we represent.”
- TSU will once again return to the road to face Tennessee Tech on Wednesday, Jan. 16. Game time is set for 6 p.m. in Eblen Center.