Event 1: Chris Banister Golf Classic
Hosted by: Jacksonville State
Location: Glencoe, Ala.
Course: Silver Lakes Golf Club
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 5,943
Weather at Start of Round: Round 3 - 68, Mostly Sunny
Scoring: Stats Following Each Day at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 3: 9 of 9 (+177)
Top 5 Teams:
GLENCOE, Ala. --- The Tennessee State women's golf team combined for their best round of the Chris Banister Golf Classic. The Tigers (347-357-337=1041) finished ninth as they carded a 49-over, 337 on Tuesday, cutting 20 strokes off of Monday's score. Murray State claimed the team title at 34-over, 898, 10 strokes better than the host squad, Jacksonville State.
Carson Racich fired a 3-over, 75, during the final round to lead the Tigers. The 75 ties the freshman for the seventh best round in TSU history. The mark equals Jessica Nemnich (2006), Jamie Pierce (2011), Kelly Merkel (2015), Natalie Spicer (2016) and current Tiger, Paige Harlin, who accomplished the feat during the first round of the 2017 Ohio Valley Conference Championships.
Harlin cut nine strokes off of yesterdays round to record an 85 on Tuesday. Morgan Rood (86) and Haleigh Riley (91) posted scoring marks for TSU, while Savannah Szozda just missed with a 92.
Playing as an individual, Dhani McDowell entered the clubhouse with her best round of the tournament with an 87. The freshman joined Harlin as the only two Tigers to cut strokes off their score each day.
Carson Racich (Started on Hole 10)
- On the par-3, 17th, hit an 8-iron to 15 feet
- Birdie putt rimmed out, settled for a tap-in par
- Hit pitching wedge to the center of the green on No. 6; ball spun backwards and rolled off the front of the green
- Chipped ball onto an upslope of the hill, helping ball roll back towards the hole to help save par
- Crushed the tee shot down the middle of the fairway on No. 7, leaving 56 yards to the pin
- Chipped approach shot to within inches of the cup setting up a tap in birdie
- On the final hole of the day, No. 9, hit driver down the right hand side of the fairway
- Stuck a 9-iron from 135 yards out to three feet, setting up makeable birdie putt
Morgan Rood (Hole 10)
Paige Harlin (Hole 10)
- Laid up on the par-5, 1st, leaving 140 yards to the flag
- Hit 7-iron to 10 feet of the hole
- Sank putt for lone birdie of the day
Savannah Szozda (Hole 10)
- Recorded two birdies on Tuesday
- On No. 3, found the center of the fairway off the tee box
- Knocked hybrid onto the green
- Drained a 16 foot putt for birdie
Haleigh Riley (Hole 10)
- Carded one birdie on the day; the par-3, 154-yard, 14th
- Converted a 13 foot putt from off the green
(I) Dhani McDowell (Hole 10)
Up Next: The Tigers will travel to Clarksville, Tenn. for the F&M Bank APSU Intercollegiate. The two day event will take place at the Clarksville Country Club starting on Oct. 2.
Leaderboard (49 Golfers)
1. Valentina Giraldo (Jacksonville State) 213, -3
T23. Carson Racich 239, +23
42. Morgan Rood 260, +44
44. Dhani McDowell 273, +57
45. Paige Harlin 276, +60
46. Haleigh Riley 277, +61
47. Savannah Szozda 281, +64
|Dhani McDowell (I)|
Freshman Carson Racich
- On final round
“Overall, it was a fun and enjoyable round. I got to play with a fellow friend from Alabama State. I was super proud of myself for getting over a mental block from my second round and go low today. It was a great way to close out my first tournament.”