BELLEVILLE, ILL. - Wins in two doubles matches and four singles matches helped the Tennessee State women’s tennis team earn a 6-3 victory over McKendree on the road on Friday.
“I was very happy with how we played,” Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “McKendree fought hard and conditions were rough, but we were determined to win. The top of our lineup played really well. We need to bottom of the lineup to step up like I know they can, and we will be good. I’m very proud of them for being 2-0.”
The all-freshman duo of Ani Popiashvili (Tbilisi, Georgia) and Pragati Natraj (Bangalore, India) remained undefeated in doubles play with an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 slot versus Kelcie Comley and Janelle Fung.
The Tigers added another point courtesy of Abhilasha Vishwanath (Bangalore, India) and Phyllicia Hemphill (Nashville, Tenn.), who earned a 9-7 No. 3 doubles win over Maggie and Kelly Ruane.
In singles, Vishwanath added a straight-set 6-3, 6-4 win at the No. 1 spot versus Comley, while Popiashvili was a 6-3, 7-6 winner in her No. 2 singles match.
TSU picked up two more points in singles with victories from Natraj at No. 3 by a 6-3, 6-4 score and Taylor Patterson (Olive Branch, Miss.) by a 6-2, 6-4 final score at No. 4 singles.
1. Popiashvili/Natraj (TSU) def. Comley/Fung (MK), 8-3
2. Lindsay/Gaither (MK) def. Gandy/Patterson (TSU), 8-5
3. Vishwanath/Hemphill (TSU) def. M. Ruane/K. Ruane (MK), 9-7
1. Abhilasha Vishwanath (TSU) def. Kelcie Comley (MK), 6-3, 6-4
2. Ani Popiashvili (TSU) def. Janelle Fung (MK), 6-3, 7-6
3. Pragati Natraj (TSU) def. Tori Lindsay (MK), 6-3, 6-4
4. Taylor Patterson (TSU) def. Jessica Gaither (MK), 6-2, 6-4
5. Maggie Ruane (MK) def. Phoenix Gandy (TSU), 6-3, 3-6, 10-8
6. Kelly Raune (MK) def. Phyllicia Hemphill (TSU), 6-4, 6-1