O’Fallon, IL –- The Tennessee State women’s team started the spring season with a pair of wins on Friday night. TSU started the evening with a 9-0 victory over Mckendree, before defeating Quincy 4-1 at St. Clair Tennis Club in O’Fallon, IL.
“Great job for the ladies,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “They came out focused and did not let their opponent have anything. They executed in doubles and singles. The hard work they have put in is paying off. We are getting solid play from everyone in the lineup.”
TSU will look to make it three wins in a row when they take on Mississippi Valley State on Saturday, Feb. 18 at home.
-- Tennessee State 9, Mckendree 0 --
The Tigers would win all three doubles matches to start off. Freshman Ashia Jones teamed up with senior Taylor Patterson to pick up an 8-5 win at the No. 1 doubles slot. Abhilasha Vishwanath and Pragati Natraj earned an 8-0 sweep at No. 2 doubles. The No. 3 doubles win came from a team made up of Ani Popiashvili and Phyllicia Hemphill.
Playing at the top single slot, Popiashvili was a 6-0, 6-0 winner over Anna Mermick. The other five singles matches went to TSU by scores of 6-0, 3-0(unfinished). Patterson defeated Tori Lindsay at No. 2, while Vishwanath picked up her singles win at No. 3 by a 6-1, 6-0 score. Joens got her first collegiate win in the spring with a win at the No. 4 slot winning 6-1, 6-1. Natraj and Hemphill finished off the wins for TSU playing at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions.
1. Jones/Patterson (TSU) def. Mernick/Lindsay (Mckendree) 8-5
2. Vishwanath/Natraj (TSU) def. Mack/Comley (Mckendree) 8-0
3. Popiashvili/Hemphill (TSU) def. Goutner/Molinari (Mckendree) 8-1
1. Popiashvili (TSU) def. Mernick (Mckendree) 6-0, 6-0
2. Patterson (TSU) def. Lindsay (Mckendree) 6-0, 3-0 (unfinished)
3. Vishwanath (TSU) def. Mack (Mckendree) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jones (TSU) def. Comley (Mckendree) 6-1, 6-1
5. Natraj (TSU) def. Molinari (Mckendree) 6-1, 6-0
6. Hemphill (TSU) def. Goutner (Mckendree) 6-0, 6-1
--Tennessee State 4, Quincy 1 –
TSU swept the three doubles matches before winning four double matches in route to a 4-1 win in the team’s second match of the day against Quincy at St. Clair Tennis Club.
TSU’s pairing of Ashia Jones and Taylor Patterson took a 7-5 win at the No.1 doubles spot for their second win of the day. Abhilasha Vishwanath and Pragati Natraj captured a 6-4 win at the No.2 doubles position; before Ani Popiashvili and Phyllicia Hemphill swept the doubles round with a 6-0 win.
All of TSU’s singles wins came in straight sets as Popiashvili won 6-4, 6-0 at the No. 1 singles spot. Vishwanath would follow that up with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 3, Hemphill played her way to a 6-0, 6-0 win at the No. 6 position.
1. Jones/Patterson (TSU) def. Kuttle/Lynch (Quincy) 7-5
2. Vishwanath/Natraj (TSU) def. McIsaac/Kuenzi (Quincy) 6-4
3. Popiashvili/Hemphill (TSU) def. McGinnis/Kanaeva (Quincy) 6-0
1. Popiashvili (TSU) def. Kuttle (Quincy) 6-4, 6-0
2. Kuenzi (Quincy) def. Patterson (TSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Vishwanath (TSU) def. Lynch (Quincy) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jones (TSU) up on McIsaac (Quincy) 6-4, 4-5 (undecided)
5. Natraj (TSU) up on Kanaeva (Quincy) 6-0, 5-2
6. Hemphill (TSU) def. McGinnis (Quincy) 6-0, 6-0