NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State women’s tennis team lost its Ohio Valley Conference opener to Austin Peay by a 5-2 final score on Friday evening at the Hadley Park Bubble.
“Very proud of the overall effort,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “We had some very close matches that could have went in our favor. We played in singles and battled hard. We need to continue to believe in the hard work we are putting in. Pragati had a great win and played smart. Phyllicia won as well. I am looking forward to our match tomorrow.”
Austin Peay captured the doubles point by winning both No.1 and No. 2 doubles by a 6-2 score. Phyllicia Hemphill and Ani Popiashvili played at the No. 3 spot in a match that went unfinished.
The Tigers fought hard in singles play. At No. 3 Abhilasha Vishwanath lost a hard fought first set 7-6 before falling in the second set 6-1. Ashia Jones played at No.4 and she would also fight valiantly dropping a tough 7-6 first set before being tripped up 6-4 in set two. Pragati Natraj took the first Tiger win at No. 5 winning both sets by a 6-4 score. Hemphill did her best to show up Natraj by defeating her opponent 6-0, 6-0 at the No.6 position.
The Tigers will continue conference play tomorrow at noon at Hadley Park.
- Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) 6-2, 6-2
- Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. PATTERSON, Taylor (TSUW) 6-0, 6-2
- Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. VISWANATH, Abhilasha (TSUW) 7-6, 6-1
- Ana Albertson (APSU) def. JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 7-6, 6-4
- NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. Brittney Covington (APSU) 6-4, 6-4
- HEMPHILL, Phyllicia (TSUW) def. Isabela Jovanovic (APSU) 6-0, 6-0
- Ana Albertson/Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. PATTERSON, Taylor/JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 6-2
- Brittney Covington/Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. NATRAJ, Pragati/VISWANATH, Abhilasha (TSUW) 6-2
- HEMPHILL, Phyllicia/POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) def. Claudia Yanes Garcia/Isabela Jovanovic (APSU) 3-2