TAMPA, Fla. --- On the first day of action at the NCAA East Preliminary Round at the USF Track and Field Stadium, Cyra Beard (High Jump), Isaiah Olige (400m Hurdles) and Mikayla Thompson (Shot Put) represented the Tennessee State track and field team as they competed among the nation’s best.
Beard tied for 22nd in the women’s high jump, while Olige took 26th in the men’s 400m hurdles and Thompson secured 41st in the women’s shot put.
Thursday marked the end of the women’s track and field season, while freshman R’Lazon Brumfield will compete in the triple jump for TSU's men's team as part of the NCAA East Preliminary Round on Saturday, May 26.
Women’s High Jump
1.70m (5’7”) – Cyra Beard – T-22nd Place
- Beard was competing at the NCAA East Preliminary Round for the third time in her TSU career.
- The senior cleared the opening height of 1.65m (5’5”) on her first attempt.
- Her first try at the second height of 1.70m (5’7”) was also successful.
- She nearly cleared the bar at 1.75m (5’8.75”), but fell just short in her three attempts.
- Beard finished tied for 12th in her flight and 22nd overall in the competition.
- She ended her career with seven Ohio Valley Conference medals.
Men’s 400m Hurdles
51.86 – Isaiah Olige – 26th Place
- Competing in the third heat, Olige earned fourth in the heat and 26th overall in the 400m hurdles with a time of 51.86.
- His time of 51.86 was the second fastest time of his career in the event.
- Olige was seeded 27th in the NCAA East Region entering the day.
- The senior from Nashville caps his career on one of the nation’s top collegiate stages.
- The six-time Ohio Valley Conference medalist was making his first career appearance at the NCAA East Preliminary Round.
Women’s Shot Put
14.71m (48’3.25”) – Mikayla Thompson – 41st Place
- The Ohio Valley Conference outdoor shot put champion capped her standout freshman season with a 41st place finish in the shot put on Thursday.
- After reaching 14.44m (47’4.5”) on her first attempt, Thompson came up with a toss of 14.71m (48’3.25”) on her second try.
- Her final attempt of the day sailed 14.46m (47’5.25”).
- Thompson earned two OVC medals during her freshman season.